Building a new PC, input please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan

Daemon Poster
Well, i'm really wanting the urge to build a PC. I really don't know a lot about hardware and stuff, but I know that I can do it.

Sooooo, everyone should give some input on what I should put in it. Case, Motherboard, CPU, fans, bla bla all that other stuff.

One thing for sure i want 1 GIG of DDR Ram, and I would like the motherboard to have sensors for temp & fan speed moinitoring. :)

I might have Win2k Pro on a couple of gigs of hdd space, but the primary OS is gonna be RedHat Linux 9.0 (If that helps)

Thanks everyone :D

What are you going to be doing with this system?

gfx design?

3d rendering?

gaming?

network server? (file/service provider/otherwise)

scsi required?

Seloce said:
What are you going to be doing with this system?

gfx design?

3d rendering?

gaming?

network server? (file/service provider/otherwise)

scsi required?

Alot of things :) Probably web development and stuff, but i want a really powerfull machine ;)

Yeah, XP 2800+, good idea, thats my processor and let me tell you, you can't go wrong. Don't bother going with the 3000+ because you pay way too much more for something that isn't that much faster.

Barton core. can't stress it enough. 2800 barton.

the radeon 9500 pro is a good buy. if you have to have be on the bleeding ecge, then the 9800 pro is it.

if you go with a pentium chip instead, make sure you invest in the rdram for the perforamce in hyper threading.

choose a solid mobo. you'll have to live with it for a while. asus is definietly one of the best manufacturers but there are a few others out there as well. just do your homework and read a lot of reviews. look at the placement of the ide ports, northbridge, and your ram. will this impede airflow? is your heatsink likely to crunch some capacitors (a problem with the current asus a7n8x)? eventaully you'll find something that suits you.

choose a decent chipset. on pentium you're probably best off with a via chipset. in amd land, probably the nForce2 (love it!).

select a case based on what you want to do with it. simplicity is the key here. keep airflow in mind. and I highly recommend a removeable motherboard tray. heatsinks are a bitch and a half to put on now-a-days.

Haha, Seloce. Bartons are nice. I should of thought about it. Now that you reminded me I think I am going to look into getting one.

options, options and more options....you'll have a lot of it when building a pc..but like Seloce said,..it depends on what your going to do with your pc.....and i think it also depends on you budget.

options, options and more options....you'll have a lot of it when building a pc..but like Seloce said,..it depends on what your going to do with your pc.....and i think it also depends on you budget.
there's also the matter of compatibility between harware. But the mobo is the most important, since it will dictate how much you can push your systems performance. The temperature sensors and fan sensors are not much of an issue since you can purchase these separately (you know..the ones you stuff into your drive bays).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom