Building a new computer, review for the parts

hi kevinG YOUR ALL PARTS SELECTION IS GOOD I APPRECIATED IT GO AHEAD AND BUILD YOUR PC I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD PC I LIKE YOUR PROCESSOS SELECTION INTEL MY FAVOURITE

More than 4GB of memory for code compilation? zzzzzz.....No offense, but if you are going to spend $1300 I would hope you use it to play some video games and/or you do video/sound editing and/or multiple programs running at the same time or something that requires memory usage. Code compilation uses very little memory over a very short period of time. Honestly if you have less than 6GB of memory, its either because money is tight, or you don't use your computer for anything "fun".

WoW on max settings can take up to 3GB of memory all by itself, the SWoTR beta on max settings takes 4GB and the list goes on. If you want to run dual box on any game you will be using the pagefile on max settings with less than 6GB. When people say "Im running blah blah blah and only using 4GB" your forgetting that your programs are running slower because they are using the pagefile as memory!

You have obviously never compiled large amounts of code then. Making only fairly small programs, I was having moments where it system was hanging for a couple of minutes with 2GB, on my system with 4GB, I have had it lagging like you wouldn't believe sometimes. The only time I have ever had it completely smooth is when I used to be on 8GB about a year ago now, but that was overkill because I use my system mainly for gaming.

On the point of gaming:

if you have less than 6GB of memory, its either because money is tight, or you don't use your computer for anything "fun".

Money isn't tight, I could go and buy an extra 4GB of memory to bring me up to 8, but what is the point? I use my computer for fun, and as you can see, I have 4GB in my current system, that is a system that is used purely for gaming and forums and nothing else. I have less than 6GB of memory, I have fun on it, there isn't a single game out now, or coming out in the foreseeable future that will be held up by any part of my system. I recently build a computer for my sister, she uses it mainly for playing The Sims and for watching films. I say I built it for her, I tend to use it more than she does, and it is the second system in my sig, 2GB of memory, Sims on full settings, full HD films, no problems.

more than 4GB is, at the moment, overkill. The only time it is more sensible to have 6GB is if you are on socket 1366, then 3 x 2GB is the ideal situation.

My pagefile isn't getting touched, the most memory usage I have ever seen on my computer is 70%, and I have played pretty much every game that has come out in the last couple of years on there, I game competitively, where if you don't have performance and are lagging because of it, you are going to lose, yet that doesn't happen because memory is not an issue what so ever.

On the topic of multiboxing, I used to play WoW with up to 3 seperate instances of the game up at once on this system, all running smooth 60 fps no matter what I was doing. Enough said.

$1300 AUD does not equate to $1300 USD, Australians lose out a hell of a lot because they are way overcharged on everything.

but will that little increase in HDD performance really make any significant difference? i guess coming from my perspective, im still using IDE drives so any SATA drive is better than what i got :p

Boot/load times will be massively improved. For the extra cost, which is not a lot extra really when you think you are only paying a couple cents extra per GB

WOW..I am happy how all the experts got together and made a healthy discussing in here. It is really good to see and I do sincerely appreciate all the efforts made by all of you with your opinions/suggestions. I must say while keeping a note of all my needs and my PC structure needs in my post 1, I really did consider all of your's suggestions. I guess I have to say the following in this regards:

And 2 x 2GB is more than enough for everything, with the exception of code compilation, server hosting or extreme photo/video editing, which OP didn't specify he would be doing

Sorry, I did mention Server :( in my second post on this thread.

More than 4GB of memory for code compilation? zzzzzz.....No offense, but if you are going to spend $1300 I would hope you use it to play some video games and/or you do video/sound editing and/or multiple programs running at the same time or something that requires memory usage. Code compilation uses very little memory over a very short period of time. Honestly if you have less than 6GB of memory, its either because money is tight, or you don't use your computer for anything "fun".

WoW on max settings can take up to 3GB of memory all by itself, the SWoTR beta on max settings takes 4GB and the list goes on. If you want to run dual box on any game you will be using the pagefile on max settings with less than 6GB. When people say "Im running blah blah blah and only using 4GB" your forgetting that your programs are running slower because they are using the pagefile as memory!

I will need about 8 GB just because of games, servers, virtual machines and lots of programs. I need most of them on at all times + they run continuously and simultaneously.

hi kevinG YOUR ALL PARTS SELECTION IS GOOD I APPRECIATED IT GO AHEAD AND BUILD YOUR PC I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD PC I LIKE YOUR PROCESSOS SELECTION INTEL MY FAVOURITE

Thanks a ton mate. Just got actual casing to confirm now...:)

more than 4GB is, at the moment, overkill. The only time it is more sensible to have 6GB is if you are on socket 1366, then 3 x 2GB is the ideal situation.

$1300 AUD does not equate to $1300 USD, Australians lose out a hell of a lot because they are way overcharged on everything.

Boot/load times will be massively improved. For the extra cost, which is not a lot extra really when you think you are only paying a couple cents extra per GB

Yes, I understand 4 GB is a lot (in some cases only) but I also mentioned on my laptop i am running about 6 GB of RAM which I have felt that it is slow running when halfish of my programs are running + as soon as the game is on I actually need to go to "Task Manager" and end process some of the programs from there to make sure its fully turned off to play games. (sometimes same with HD movies i.e. Bluray 1080p)

Yes, Australian shops do charge a lot over US prices. Luckily at the moment the prices have dropped a little since AUD is slightly over US currency at the moment but I am not too sure how lucky I am when I go to purchase parts :p (may be on the coming weekend).

So, you are saying that I should get a case that will support approximately 1 x 4 TB HDDs meaning 4 HDD space in the case. (2.5" HDD should do for 1 TB I think). So, if I get this the boot time will most definitely increase I understand since it has to put load on one 1 TB HDD and the rest of the 3 TB's not as much in compare to one 2 TB HDD (2 x 2TB that I was looking to get). BUT the only side affect I see in here is what if in future I need to increase the size of my HDDs?? As I have also mentioned that I have about 7 TB lying around the home which is hard to manage already for me (that also includes the NAS = 4 TB).

Any lighting you / anyone want to put on this?? Sorry, I am just trying to get a clear idea / make a clear picture in my mind on what will be the best for the whole system and my needs.

Mobo: I didn't get why I should try to change the motherboard..Is that ok if you can explain :D
Graphics: I will definitely look into it :)
Case: The only reason why I went for the other case is because of the looks and some good cable management. I will compare both cable management and the style of the case once again tomorrow after my exam :D and reply back.
PSU: Ok. So, you recommend me to get a better PSU..I mean instead of 500W I should get 620W?

--
Ok so I just bought the mobo and the cpu as mentioned in my first post :) Shit that costed me $508.00 AUD including the GST and all...I was expecting like $450..:(

Back
Top Bottom