Building a Mac (Hackintosh) in 2018

niceties55

Daemon Poster
I have mainly used multiple Mac computer for the past 12 years most of my work (video and photos). I love the power new iMac Pro, but it is incredibly expensive so I am looking at building my own. I have successfully built 4 gaming Windows computers in the past 10 years so I know how to do that.

I know that building a Mac is harder to do!

Researching, I see a ton of different tutorials out there, so I was wondering what the best or your favorite ones.

I mainly need it for Raw 1080p or 4K videos. So it has to be powerful, but not too crazy!

Thanks for your help!!

I'm pretty sure that's illegal, or at the very least, a breach of contract. I can assure you, your OS won't make a considerable difference when editing video, your hardware will, so speed is no excuse to build a Hackintosh. If you want, we can help you build a computer for editing (there are some on the build guides of this very forum), but I doubt it is allowed to help you build a Hackintosh.

Another absolutely brilliant reason not to use anything Apple.

LOL I see on the other forum where you asked this question you got blocked. And you still want to use Apple products?

Last edited:
Hackintosh is illegal, against the legal part in the EULA that you'd need to agree to in order to run the software, I believe that discussion of hackingtosh is also outlawed under the same EULA, (of course as I don't use a Mac I never agreed to that EULA...)

you'll find that most guides are guides that apply to particular laptops or particular hardware setups, that use particular CPUs and chip sets...

basically, Apple only ever sell a PC that they entirely control, a part of the reason that there used to be many more blue screens on a PC compared to mac is that windows had to write code that could work on any on of an almost infinite combination of hardware, mac had to write for one iteration of hardware, (where the only difference was a slower CPU from the same family, or less of the same type of RAM.) broadly that is still true, the amount of genuine hardware is reasonably limited, so you cannot expect core parts to just work on any hardware.

Basically, it's a huge amount of work, it often just doesn't work. rather than messing around with that you'd do better to take the same amount of hours work you'd do getting it working and do some overtime or something until you save for the real thing!

If you are just video editing what is wrong with a windows PC? (or Linux based PC?)

They're probably right about it being more trouble than it's worth, but don't let that stop you! I think the only reason to go with a hackintosh is that you're familiar with the OS and programs, but the hardware you have access to isn't powerful enough.

Go here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/

they've got a lot of information on getting things running and picking parts. I won't discuss breaking apple's DRM, even though i completely disagree with it.

Best of luck!

Edit: IIRC, in the US, breaking the EULA or DRM is a civil offence, not technically a crime (which would imply criminal offence)

Last edited:
Since all my PCs had been home built I never touched a Mac. I just learned something new and the reason I never saw a home built Mac.

Back
Top Bottom