Building a go kart out of an existing mower - help!

tj_extreme

Daemon Poster
So, today I received this:

View attachment 5351

A 1980 Ariens Fairway. It's got a 7hp Tecumseh gas engine on the back. Manual tranny. Gonna be removing the deck (of course) and putting a battery in for electric start. Where do I go from there? This is my end of summer project. I know someone here has to have at least some experience with DIY Karts. I want it to be super badass and original, so I'm using the body/frame of the tractor. Any suggestions welcome. Except for ones telling me to buy a go kart. That takes the fun out of it.

Have at it!

Attachments

• ariensfairway.jpg
    ariensfairway.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 39
It's actually just as wide as my neighbors go kart; you just can't tell in the pic :p I began working on it today. Tore the deck off and did some fiddling with the gears. Also put new brakes in. Tuned up the engine as well.

But does the driver of your neighbors go-kart sit as high as what you would on that thing?

The base of my old go-kart is the width of a regular riding mower, but, the driver sits only inches from the ground. Even so, going at a high speed, in the slightest turn, it wants to start tipping over once the suspension gets maxed out trying to compensate.

But does the driver of your neighbors go-kart sit as high as what you would on that thing?

The base of my old go-kart is the width of a regular riding mower, but, the driver sits only inches from the ground. Even so, going at a high speed, in the slightest turn, it wants to start tipping over once the suspension gets maxed out trying to compensate.

Nope. But we're not trying to race this thing, either :p Just need a project, and I'd love to take this lil' ****er out to camp.

Back
Top Bottom