Building a Gaming Computer

lol alright, what do you think about this guys build, anything that you would change on it?:D

As most people pointed out, i'd opt for the new G92 512MB 8800GT instead of the 640 he wants. I've got the 640mb GTS and its awesome, but you can get the new, updated GT for about the same (if not less $$) and slightly increased performance.

Hopefully, he'll have an adequate power supply and case cooling, too. Overclocking is a disease, and it's sure to hit him sometime soon. ;)

Just get the Mobo that he suggested, i wsa just looking for future proof...

The 1 ram stick runs faster than the 2 x 1gb... that i suggested

The processor is better too.. that i suggested, i am not arguing just showing what can be better... plus the black edition is a waste.. no difference..

According to this it's a pretty good boost... and plus over time it adds up, and everything boots faster and runs better (if you have your windows on it)

http://www.storagereview.com/WD1500ADFD.sr?page=0,2

he doesnt have to get it, if he wants a gaming system ..and IF he can afford it, go for it...

agreed on your last bit there..if he can afford it, sure go for it!...you do have to remember we are talking milliseconds here for access time and a few mb transfer time differences and the link you had wasn't totally updated as there are some newer and better drives out that that aren't on the list..but im not disagreeing..just pointing that out...i'm just saying i would spend the extra money on better ram or a better cpu since those two are the most common bottlenecks...you don't hear about hard drive bottlenecks quite to often...

It would be nice if you could give us a price budget to work with here..kinda guessing on some of this....!

yea thats true, i mean w/e he wants to do just giving benches and some other things to help him make a decision and yea he could get another stick of ram or a better proc.. or something haha.. but just showing him how it stacks up...

personally, I would go with an ATI Radeon 3850...save yourself a little dough and not risk a big drop in performance..it beats an 8800GT at higher res..they are around $190.....or if you wanna rival the 8800gts, get a 3870...it's almost the exact same specs with the gts (512mb version) beating out the 3870 by very little...however you will spend much more for a 8800..therefore IMHO making the 3870 the way to go for around $240 compared to an 8800 anywhere from $270-$300+ but hey..like we all keep saying..depends on how much money you are willing to fork out :)

but just showing him how it stacks up...
totally agree on that one...just showing him what's out there..after all, he's the one that's going to decide what he's going to buy

EDIT>>>

Ok..finally..here's my two builds...one intel, one amd.....here's the intel

MOBO @ $120

CPU @ $190

RAM @ $37

HDD @ $85

GPU @ $190

OPTICAL @ $34

Total Price (w/o case and PSU but with all shipping and rebates included)= $656

Here's my AMD Build

MOBO @ $135

CPU @ $160

RAM - Same as above

HDD - Same

GPU - Same

OPT - Same

Total Price = $641

And then like I said above, some alternate vid cards (if you had the money) would definitely be the 8800GTS 512mb as choice number one @ $270-$300+, and at a close second the ATI 3870 @ $240

And then I don't know your plans for cases and psu's are..here's a really good one with a 500w psu included..I have the model before this one (flat front, one less 120mm fan) and the PSU is still going strong

This case is ~100 bucks with shipping included w/ 500W PSU

Here's a case by itself and a PSU by themselves..but combo price for these two is = ~$146 w/ship...so basically you are paying 46 bucks for a little bit better PSU..but I really don't know what kind of case you are looking for so that'd all be up to you..

Hope this helps

Oh, and btw..IMO Intel wins on this one for me with a slight edge, simply out of personal preference. AMD's tend to be harder to OC on stock cooling and run a bit hotter, and intel seems to run a little cooler and have some overhead to OC on stock cooling....just my personal opinion here though..we don't need a fanboy war! I have no doubt that either of these setups would be splendid!

Back
Top Bottom