Building a DAW pc just a couple of Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

daw_pc

Beta member
Hi, I'm putting together the following pc system for music recording/mixing/production applications.

Price range: US$2800 - $3100 (actually NZ$4500 - $5000)
Desired qualities: silent,powerful,stable
Main software: Cubase SX 3 / Ableton Live 5 / Reaktor 5 (on my currently dying P4 2.4GHz 1GB DDR400 I push these as far as I can.. usually the CPU meter maxes out before anything else)

=====================
Antec P150 Quiet PC Case
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2GHz
Zalman CNPS9500-LED cooler

[Corsair XMS2 DDR2 2GB PC2-5400
or
MUSHKIN DDR2 PC4200 2x1GB 533MHZ
or
4GB of Corsair VALUESELECT DDR2 2GB PC2 5300]

2 x Samsung SPINPOINT T133 300GB
Asus Extreme N7600GT Silent/2DHT/256M
Samsung SE-W164L external DVD writer Black
2 x Samsung Syncmaster 740B SILVER 17" LCD monitors

2 x delta audiophile 2496 pci (already own)
======================

Right, so firstly is it likely that I would ever need 4GB RAM just running Cubase sx? Am I better off purchasing 2GB of the expensive Corsair XMS2 or the mid-range Mushkin?

Also, does Zalman CNPS9500 fit in the P150 case and is it the only cooler that supports AM2 CPUs? Seems like the Scythe Ninja would be quieter with a fan and controller.

Oh yeah I've chosen an external usb2 DVD drive so that I can put the case away in a cabinet and not have to open it at all. The video card was chosen due to its fanless design and dual DVI outs.

This is my first purchase in years so any advice anyone could give me regarding my proposed system would be greatly appreciated!

if you put that thing in a cabinet, it will overheat in a matter of seconds. Even with all those fans, it will only be blowing the hot air back on the components. Dont put the case in a cabinet. Ill look at some of your specs in the morning, im really tired and need slep (work from 9 until 3 tomorrow, and im only 15).

>if you put that thing in a cabinet, it will overheat in a matter of seconds.

yeah thanks.. makes sense. I was going to mimick the setup they have at my university's sound lab, but I suppose my system would run much hotter than a Mac G4.. (come to think of it it was pretty hot in that cabinet anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom