Build or buy a Media Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narkosis

Beta member
Im relatively good about building computers, been doing that for a couple years now. Mostly they've just been a few workstation computers, very generic. Im looking to build a decent (not too crazy) media center PC so I can use my Xbox 360 to its full potential. Im just looking for some helpful tips when building one. I dont necessarily need to have my hand held through the whole process lol Just looking for some basic do's and dont's when it comes to building one of these. Looking to stay around $400 total for the hardware if possible.

I've been trying to piece one together from newegg but then I thought Id check out Dell. They seem to have a pretty decent (from my knowledge) setup for about $550 that has:

p4 2Ghz processor
1Gb of memory
SATA 60Gb HDD
intel extreme 2 card
dvd burner

Would this be a decent setup for mainly sending music/movies back and forth to my 360? I've already got an HD setup with DVR so thats where my full-length movies get stored/played. The Media Center would be for short clips and music and such. Any opinions on Dells for Media Center purposes?

$550 is pretty much my max. So if I can do better building one, then Ill do that (including case, power supply, mobo, chip, memory, dvd drive, vid and sound). Thanks in advance!

You won't find a custom or retail Media Centre computer for $400.

I would personally recommend a retail Media Centre PC from HP. They look very reliable, easy to use, and affordable.

you said they "look" very reliable, easy to use, and affordable. I've had a slight bad taste in my mouth for HP from a couple years ago. Have they changed their image around?

turtile said:
Just install windows media connect on your current computer.

I would do that if my computer was up to par with current technology. But its about 4 years old and was pieced together to be used as a basic workstation. Either way this computer needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom