BSOD issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Fox

OCZ SSD Enthusiast
I've been getting BSOD errors while playing BF3, but it occurs at random times, like I'd be good for a week or two, then it suddenly happens. Now there have been different messages, the two I remember are: Page fault in nonpaged area, and PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. Those are the two most recent. I've check the memory, all's good there. My graphics drivers are up to date, as well as the motherboard's. I read somewhere that OCZ SSDs have been having BSOD issues and they recommend updating firmware. My oldest one (60gb) has firmware version 1.24 and the newest one (120gb) has 1.33. I found the updater here: OCZ Technology but when I launch it, and try to update the firmware, it says Firmware download failed.

Also, I recently added an old wireless card I had to test out some virtual router program on codeplex (which works very well btw), but I've only used it a couple of times and I think I've gotten BSODs before I installed it as well as after. And I've always got Speedfan and EVGA precision running and temps look just fine.

1) Why won't the firmware update work?
2) Why am I getting these BSOD errors?

Might want to upload your dump files and have someone take a look at 'em. I never had an OCZ SSD go bad on me.

go to
1) right click "My Computer" ( in safe mode )
2) properties--advanced--startup and recovery--settings
3) where it says "write debugging information" choose "small memory dump"
4) download "BlueScreenView" from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview.zip
5) Start in normal mode and wait for the BSOD
6) Execute "BlueScreenView" and locate the dump file in ---> "C:\WINDOWS\MiniDump" ( assuming Windows is installed on "C"-drive )
7) Read the LAST driver that was loaded
8) Go back in Safe-Mode and RENAME the driver
9) Start in NORMAL mode
10) 10 to 1 this will be a driver prob ( although it COULD be hardware )
...now take it from here :)

First, I vote .7z files should be allowed as attachments.. :/

Second, I downloaded bluescreenview and exported the full report on both incidences, and it's in the report.zip file attached. If this doesn't convey the necessary information, I'll upload the dump files. I tried searching for this ntoskrnl.exe on google, but I couldn't find clear answers that I understood.

In the C:\Windows\Minidump location, there were tons of BF3 crash dump files, is there anything I can use to read those? Or give them to EA or something?

I do not have any of those drives list there, so updating it when it's the boot drive should be fine (also, I have a second drive that isn't a boot drive, and it still didn't work). I looked in the BIOS and I have my drive controllers set to IDE, not AHCI. Can I change them to AHCI without erasing any data/causing any harm?

Edit1: I disabled the wireless card just incase it was causing the problem.

Edit2: I just went on EA Support, the guy had me repair my game and delete my temp files. He seemed pretty confident I would not get a BSOD anymore...I doubt his methods will work...but I can hope.

Attachments

• report.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 2
just going by vague memory here but I think you need the ahci driver from the board manufacture installed and then go into your bios and change it to ahci after the driver is in for windows.

The bsod's could be video driver. Did you start getting bsod's after a newer video driver install?
Maybe roll back to the previous driver if that is the case

I've had these since I first got the game, and since then, there's been 2-3 driver updates, and none of them solved the issue. I will look for AHCI drivers.

Thanks! Worked great! Both SSDs are now up-to-date. I guess I'll just wait and see if I get any more BSODs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom