BSOD...couldn't find too much info

Status
Not open for further replies.
spybot 1.5 was a resource hog. spybot 1.5.02 is the best one out there.
I have 1.4. Put 1.5 on a friend's computer for them, and I didnt' really like it, so I never updated.

Is this XP or Vista?

XP can do a repair install. Vista if you are lucky you can use the DVD and a Restore point if you have any.

Luckily this is XP I'm having the problems on...if this drive get's f'd up, I still have Vista and ubuntu to fall back on, on a separate drive xD.

Would a repair install fix it though? If it just moved the file and is causing these, I mean?

With XP a repair install would fix any Windows related problems. If it was a issue related to a Windows file being moved. ;)

Ah, ok...I knew it'd replace/repair system files, but not necessarily like that, heh... Learn somethin new everyday I guess.

Well if I get the BSOD again, I'll try a repair. I have everything backed up (usually do it weekly, or once every 2 weeks or so). May do a chkdsk from my XP disc tonight, too, just to be sure nothing's messed up there.

Thanks btw Mak, always a lifesaver :D.

Specs in sig.

Ok, well when I woke up this morning I turned my monitor on, b/c I usually just leave my PC on all night w/ just the monitors off. Turned it on, and voila, a BSOD was waiting for me (I have automatic restart turned off, so if something happens I can get the error code). Error code it gave me was:

0xF4.

There wasn't anything like IRQ error at the top or anything, just the normal "A problem has occured, etc etc" stuff. I searched through google, and I saw a few things to try... tried looking at the minidump it generated, and this is what it gave me tells me:

CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION (f4)
A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been
terminated.
Several processes and threads are necessary for the operation of the
system; when they are terminated (for any reason), the system can no
longer function.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000003, Process
Arg2: 8aca3da0, Terminating object
Arg3: 8aca3f14, Process image file name
Arg4: 805d11f8, Explanatory message (ascii)

And then other tests (I can upload the txt file if anybody wants to read the whole thing). So I saw on another place to try and run system file checker in Run, so I did that. Ran fine, nothing came up to replace anything so I assume that it was good. Am running HD Tune error scan right now. I'll try running Memtest when I get back from school/before I go to work so it has a few hours to scan my RAM. If that doesn't work, I've seen yet again in another place, to try deleting my Pagefile...is this alright to do? I've never deleted the pagefile before... I may try Defrag/Scandisk later on tonight, after doing the above tests. I suppose I could also try a chkdsk /r from my Windows CD too...

I had a few BSOD's about 2 weeks ago, that were both related to my HDD. But it's been working fine as of late.... Could it possibly be my HDD going out? It's really not that old (3 months at most).

Also, I'd like to add...it NEVER BSOD's when I'm actually using my computer...in fact I was playing Crysis just last night, and it ran perfect (40fps w/ the Very High autoexec.cfg mod =D). It seems to just do it while idle, early in the morning (Event Viewer said it happened at 7:40am this morning). Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

somehow I missed the original post. run checkdisc or your hdd maker's dianostic tools

somehow I missed the original post. run checkdisc or your hdd maker's dianostic tools

Yeah, I posted above that I was gonna do a chkdsk tonight heh.

Then probably while I'm at school I'll run SeaTools off of my Hiren BootCD (love this thing...has so many useful tools).

Last time I ran it, I got some errors...then I ran chkdsk from my XP disc, and I think that had fixed it (didn't run it again though...but I will tomorrow). Explained in this thread: http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/hdd-problems-166790/

May do a chkdsk from my XP disc tonight, too, just to be sure nothing's messed up there.

Thanks for the tips though, Eric. At least I already knew what to do for that part of, anyway xD.

Ok, I used SeaTools to check my drive, and the only option I could do to test was File Structure. Didn't have much time this morning before I went to school to mess around with it, so I just decided to go with that. Ran it,and then when I came back home for lunch (right now), it said that it failed. But when I looked at the log results for the test, it didn't give any reasons =\. I'll try another HDD diag program on my bootCD, and see if I get a different result...

Does Spinrite overwrite data that's already on the drive when it writes data to it? Or does it just read the data when it's giong over filled spots?

Does Spinrite overwrite data that's already on the drive when it writes data to it? Or does it just read the data when it's giong over filled spots?

it fixes everything. it will move data from a bad spot to a good spot and make the bad spot not accessible anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom