Broken motherboard and/or cpu?

Terabyte1

Solid State Member
Hi everyone

Yesterday I got given a Packard Bell case with the Motherboard (AMI BIOS) and Intel 775 Quad Core CPU included. I plugged a psu, hard drive, optical drive and replaced the cmos battery and I got a continuos beep and nothing was displayed on the monitor. I seated the RAM in but got no beeps but the fans, hard drive and others parts were working but still nothing on the screen and I know its not the RAM since its been tested with the on the same model. The only things I think it could be is the motherboard and/or the CPU. I checked everything over and over again but still could not get it to post. The person who gave it to me said the computer was clogged up with dust but every other part was working. It may have suffered overheating but the are no burn marks on the CPU. Sadly I couldn't test it due to not having the hardware to do so.

Obviously no one is going to know the excact issue but does anyone know anything about this issue?

Thanks for reading

3 Things you can try;

1. Try a different CPU (Another Socket 775 CPU) in the motherboard

2. Try the CPU In a different Motherboard (Just make sure the motherboard supports Quad Core,Socket 775 CPU's)

3. If the Video card is an External PCIE Card,Try a different card?

Thanks for the advice but I have no other equipment to test the CPU. I have tried a graphics card but still nothing, no post, nothing on screen. I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and can tell me the chances of it being the CPU.

I would suspect the motherboard first, CPU second. Motherboards tend to give out faster than CPUs - more parts exposed to sensitive elements (ESD, physical handling, shock, etc)

Thanks og for your post. I orignally thought motherboard and I hope it is. The thing is it was clogged up with dust, I mean lots of dust. I have been building and working with computers for while now but have never come across this problem before. If it was the CPU that broke because of the heat (because of the dust clogging the fan) the thermal compound would be darker wouldnt it? When I took the heatsink & fan off it looked fine, the compound was still grey.

A dead CPU is hard to diagnose unless you have another motherboard you can pop it in to and test. CPUs are hardly little things. I've seen some CPUs put up with some really stressful things and still come out working again. I suspect motherboard before I ever suspect CPU, though don't completely rule out the CPU either until you can test it in another motherboard.

Yeah hopefully I will test it within the next two weeks since I'm building a new system and I could use this quad core instead of a dual core. Once again thanks for your advice. Btw nice PC specs.

Back
Top Bottom