Broken Drive Permissions

alexjk620

Beta member
Hello, I'm trying to back up some of my friends hard drive data. I took her hard drive out, and put it into my case that makes it an external hard drive. I believe most of her data was going corrupt because of a bad hard drive so I was having problems changing permissions to some of the folders. I was able to retrieve some of the data, but not everything she wanted. I googled for a while, and found some tutorials on using takeown and icacls in cmd. I ran it as admin of course, after setting the drive to her drive, then tried it out. After using icacls, the drives permissions are gone, or so it looks. It wont even show me the file system type. I tried using both commands to change,add, and edit permissions to access the drive, but I keep getting access denied. I tried going into the drives advanced security settings, and it tells me that I must have read persmissions to view the ownership. It wont let me add permissions that way either. Any ideas? I've never seen this happen before.

Bypass Windows altogether and just boot off of a Linux LiveCD and copy over the data that you need. Easiest way to do it, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom