Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

mssssee2

Graphic Designer
What type of connection on the internet do you have?

I live in Thessaloniki the co-capital city of Greece. Here the max broadband connection is 1mbit, that's what I have. My drama is that in the Capital city (Athens) people enjoy 4-20 mbits (adsl 2). I have to wait six months until the net of three ISPs comes here, so we'll be able to get rid of the public telecom (built in 1920s and updated in 1940s, 1970s and 1999), so we'll be able to pay only one bill which includes broadband, phoning and cableTV in High Definition (Finally came to greece). I'm jealous with people who live in Athens.

Please do not refer any ISP and the cost of the month-bill.

that isn't too bad.... When I lived with my parents, we had a 1.5 Meg DSL connection. I have a 6 Meg cable connection in my apartment, but I hate it because IMO, $50/month is too much, and they don't offer any different 'speed packages'.... Once I move next month, I will enjoy FREE 1.5 Meg DSL through work. :D

My current ISP offers 10MB/s down, but I get horrendous pings. Anything outside the usual 3 first hops is 50 ping. Nothing lower. That makes 150 ping to Dallas. Absolutely horrible.

If you ever move to the PA area, do NOT get Armstrong Zoom. Get Comcast. It's awesome here.

I have Rodgers Cable... it sucks... not to mention im connected through a wireless network and sharing that one internet connection with 6 other computers... so sometimes in games my ping can be over 1000 espically in mid afternoon..

I have Wireless DSL. I averaged around 720Kbps down. We pay $20/Month, it's the fastest we got because we live in a town with less than 2000 people.

I wonder why they call it wireless DSL, because thats an oxymoron..... $20 a month isn't bad though. I would rather have $20/month 1Meg down, than $50/month 6 Meg down... I don't do too much downloading really, espeicailly since I am too lazy to install iTunes since my last HDD fiasco.

At least here in Greece DSL is cheaper than I thought, in Athens an ISP provides 4mbits for 19 euros per month, almost $25 i think. But here I pay the same for 1mbit. Another ISP provides 8mbits for 29 euros per month, almost $40. From 10mbits and over the price increases extrmely and in 20mbits reaches the inexplicable value of 150 euros a month, almost $200.

Those larger packages would likely be more for business customer's with large a large user-base which need internet access, or a web hosting company, so someone that has too much money, and needs to send some to my paypal account. :D

Typically, businesses go with dedicated circuits rather than DSL or cable from ISP's, and T1's start usually around the $500/month for 1.5 Meg... I know an E1 is 2 Meg, but no idea about prices on that... E1's are not in the USA.

I get 1.5megs. its $35 through windstream, some Taiwan company that came in last year and bought out Bell South's division in town. Tech support is local which is nice and the pings are good. but the crap seimens modems they give you suck. They try to act as a router and i about threw it out the window when it was fighting over DHCP and DNS with my belkin router.

1.5M DSL. I'd like to have the 3.0, but I'm not close enough to the node.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom