"Bridge" 'net connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josuem

Baseband Member
Hey all,

I just setup a desktop in my room (running Mandrake), and am attempting to find a viable means of getting on to the 'net with it. As it stands now, I use a laptop(running XP) with a wifi card to connect to our wireless router in our living room, which has our DSL modem setup in the WAN port. Now, it works fine when simply run a 50' ethernet cable from the router to my "new" desktop, but, having that cable running through the house isn't gonna cut it, considering its already been ripped out twice by family members and pets... I've been thinking it over, and I was wondering, is there any way for me to "bridge" the connection between my wifi card and my ethernet card on my laptop, and act as a "gateway" for the desktop to the internet? If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate the input. Thanks!

why not just go get a wifi card for the desktop? they should be relativley inexpensive and they are easy to add.

Well, you're right, it would be fairly inexpensive, and I am considering it, however, I'm still trying to see if I can't make do with what I have. Plus, I'm not all the experienced with Linux and don't feel like having to spend extra time finding drivers for the wifi card if it doesn't work right off the bat. Thanks though!

out of my league with linux, try posting a link in the linux forum to this one and see if you get a better anwser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom