Bride of Frankenstein lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentobaku

In Runtime
Hello fellow techies. I am back with another problem. My sister owns a Dell XPS 210. We have fought for ages with heat issues (duh dell who wants a slim case). The XPS was intelligently designed with a central fan cooling the CPU by in-taking cool outside air and blowing it across the heat-sink then ram, followed by HDD and the portion of the mobo what holds the gfx unit and nic. Finally all this lovely super heated air is exhausted by the psu fan. Well long story short, I decided once again I would donned the lab coat of Dr. Victor Von Frankenstein. I got a case for a Dell Dimension E521. Gutted it and proceeded to make mounts where needed, and cut the back panel to match the interface ports on the mobo. Everything matched up surprisingly well. After fixing a few over sites it was time to power it up. "POOF" with a gentle hum The bride to my Inspiron 530 transplant lives. Fire straight up and loads windows. Well Everything looked fine. When I tried to log-in on my account its starts to load then locks up to black screen (was the symptom before transplant). So I reboot expecting windows is corrupt and will be able to fix everything with a reformat. But when the computer reboots all of the fans go into hi gear (max power) and the gfx card never turns on the monitor. So I reboot and everything is fine again (other than the windows loading error). When I run PC check on the Mobo and Processor everything passes fine. The HDD on the other hand isn't recognized by Darik's Boot and Nuke or HDAT2. Seagate SeaTools locates it fine. But other Herin's Programs have random lock ups when tryn to run them, but the ram passed Memtest86+ with flying colors.

To sum up I am at a lost and so seek the advice of my much trusted online techies.
1. Why does the mobo turn on sometimes giving fans full power and no signal to monitor?
2. Why wont DBaN or HDAT2 pick up the HDD when everything else does?

Thanks for any help guys.

UPDATE: I removed the CMOS battery and cleared the mem, haven't had a bad start up "YET". Also windows will load into safe mode fine and seems stable.
UPDATE: problem still persist.

UPDATE: The HDD will only show up in Seagate Seatools, it will load windows in safe mode. But in PC check the HDD shows up but says its Unidentified and it has no info (manufacture, model, speed, ect) about the drive. The only thing it knows is the Drive size is 250g. When I first start the HDD test in PC Check and selected the drive it shows up as a BIOS Drive.

HDD Problem worked around. windows installed no problem but its still doin the same thing on the new install. After being on for a few seconds it acts like the onboard gfx shuts off. Only does it loaded into full windows 7, safe mode and DOS programs run no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom