Breaking Down/Building Up

BKTech

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum and the computer world in general and I'm about to embark on my first-ever PC build. I plan on just going to find an older and cheap, but still functioning tower and take it all apart, then rebuild it just to familiarize myself with the inner workings and get the feel for the machine in general. I was wondering if there were any special or good tools I would need that would make this easier and better? Like certain pliers or specific screwdriver sets or anything? Any info or advice is appreciated, thank you!

Thats how i started building my computers. A philips is pretty much ghe main tool and a small power screwdriver helps with taking things apart. Needlrnose pliers help. Maybe wire cutters to cut the tie downs. Thats about all thats needed to tear apart and then put them back together. Don't forget the cpu paste or you will cook a cpu rapidly! Thats the first thing i do before i install anything else on the board. Good luck, and take your time. Its not a race. One other thing. Ram has offset cadds don't force them into there mounts. I am sure you will get other ideas from other folks here but th hat is about all the basics. Good luck, wd68

Magnetic philips head bit, 91-99% isopropyl alcohol, paper towels, and thermal paste. Bout all you need for most tear down and builds. A flathead might be needed for certain CPU coolers depending on what you get. Work in a non static area and touch the metal of the case frequently to not zap any components with static electricity since we're coming into the winter months.

Wire cutters for zip ties.
Small needle nose pliers
magnetic tray or bowl for screws/parts
If you wanted to get fancy an iFixit kit helps too.
These aren't necessary but welcome items.

Thanks all!! This is very helpful, I haaate getting into any project (in the past it would be something like recipe creation/standardization) and not having the correct tools, having to stop every little bit to go find something else. This will save me a lot of time, much apprectiated!

Back
Top Bottom