brain vs RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
how much ram would you need in a computer to store as much as your brain can store, ie you or I can remember louds of things inc;
phone numbers
people names
registration plates
address's
birthdays
passwords

and tons and louds more

Your brain remembers everything you come in contact with in any way...
The reason why you "forget" things is because our retrieving system is not exactly 100%

When deep blue beat Kasparov it proved that a computer can beat a human because it never gets tired and analyzes large amounts of data quickly. Other than that a computer is inferior to a human in many ways mostly because humans made them. They are one big flaw based on logic that isn't logical to begin with.

and you do know that RAM is just space for your computer to make computations? it holds no data indirectly.. your hard-drive holds all of your data...

and 2GB of DDR2 ram for windows xp and 4GB DDR2 ram for Vista is great.

well its humans who have created computer and not vice verse .....
out brain stores all the information but not in order so we cannot retrieve all the thinks we can....
but constant revision can keep the information for very long time .....

brain is a product of nature..
n whenever its nature v/s science
its always that the nature wins...

basically ram is a volatile memory as soon as power is off nothing is inside it...
but as we sleep our brain stores data in perodic manner and some researchers also claim that it helps solving problems if u sleep over it.....

both the things are unmatchable .....
but techinically speaking u need a lot of ram for that if ur brain usage is a its ace......

Our brains actually hold a ridiculous amount of data that a computer cannot even dream of being able to store. As Stealth said, our retrieval method is just very much imperfect and serves to be as efficient as possible by only serving to convenience, by being able to retrieve 'important' things - we really don't need to remember how many mothballs were in the upper-left corner of the room we just ran through, but our brain probably has that bit of data accurately stored, our mind just does not prioritize that piece of data. Look at people with savant syndrome who can memorize thousands patterns on the fly and retrieve them with no effort whatsoever.. they're living proof of the raw capability of the human mind

YouTube - Savant Drawings

I think you'd need an infinite amount of virtual space on a hard drive to be able to match the capabilities of the human mind in terms of storing data. Computers have the advantage in retrieval, as it can pretty much retrieve 100% of the data it stores at any time almost instantaneously, but doesn't come close to the raw data stored as in the brain.

Well, we can say that our brain is a volatile memory, when the power is off, you die, you loose all data in it.

Well, we can say that our brain is a volatile memory, when the power is off, you die, you loose all data in it.

well its not..
here the word volatile is referring to
sleep for brain
power off for pc..

in that case even if ur take a hammer and bang ur ram n motherboard;
no data could be retrieved after that.....:p

thats true .... but our subconscious mind also plays a vital role in such case.. which many r unaware of it....

but that doesnt mean that we forget things at the end of the day.. may be cannot retain it fully .. but no where near to volatile....

Hmm...well as I get older I find that memory is not nearly what it once was. Or rather recall. I am sure the data is there somewhere but as was mentioned earlier the recall is the thing. Plus I think technology is making us dumber. For example, I don't know anybody's phone numbers. They are all stored on my phone. Before cell phones, I remembered dozens of numbers. But computers are only storage anyway and all they do is math. It's all binary conversions. Think about if you had to tell a computer how to tie shoelaces or dribble a basketball. Your brain can just process it and do it where a computer would have to do a billion calculations to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom