Booya! Sold a Photo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He took it with the built-in camera in his iMac that he had pointed at the window, and cropped and scaled the 640x480 image.

Beat that.

john3 said:
thats a nice picture, which camera did you use? it has very good detail, awesome work man. $200, wow.

200$ is pretty cheap for doing that kind of work.

mac_mogul said:
Very nice :D

What type of camera did you use?

HAVOC2k5 said:
Yes. Please What kinda camera?

Very nice sense of depth. Good contrast, very nice texture.

I love black and whites also..

Gj - Congrats
HAVOC2k5 said:
lol - 30"x20"?

no... I'm betting it's at least an 8MP dSLR. Probably Canon or Nikon.
???
Thanks for the support! And believe it or not, I'm using 35mm. I use a Nikon FE 35mm film SLR with an MD-12 Motor drive so I can shoot at 3fps. To tell you the truth, 9 times out of 10, I prefer film photography over digital (in SLR's mind you). Until very recently, 35mm made sharper photo's than digital and 35mm doesn't have the magnification or crop factor that Digital SLR's have (with the exception of the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II and Canon EOS 5D) so wide-angle shots had more image area on film. Up until about 2005, Most of the Nat'l Geographic photographers were using film beause the 35mm slide provided more resolution and detail for 2-page images than digital cameras. I like film because I believe it gives my photo's more of an artistic feel to them. Not only that, but with digital you can shoot shoot shoot and shoot some more without worrying about running out of exposures. If you donÂ’t' like an image, you can delete it. With film, the photographer is forced to look at different angles and perspectives because he only has 12, 24, or 36 exposures per roll, and as a result, more photoÂ’s come out good per 24 or 36 than with digital (if you didnÂ’t delete).

For this shoot, I used my FE, my Nikon AF Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 telephoto lens, Nikon AF Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8 Macro wide-angle zoom and my ball-head tripod. For this individual photo, i was shooting at f/4 with a shutter speed of 1/1000 of a second at 150mm.

I was using Kodak Elitechrome ISO 100 Color reversal film (instead of getting color negatives, you get color positives) for optimal color accuracy and saturation, and the ISO 100 allows me to blow it up to 20"x30" without it getting too grainy like if i was using ISO 400 film.

Pretty soon, i'm going to buy a Nikon D200 and a vertical grip for school and to replace my FE so I can use it as a 2nd body. eg. the D200 has my 80-200mm lens and my FE has my 35-70mm on it.

I have a few snapshots made with my el cheapo point-and-shoot'er toy of my equipment that was used, my SB-600 speedlight isnt' pictured becuase a friend is borrowing it right now:

S4200002.jpg

S4200010.jpg

S4200014.jpg

DJ-CHRIS said:
200$ is pretty cheap for doing that kind of work.
It was kind of a personal thing, and I didn't want to overprice them too much. How much do you think I should have charged? This is the first photo i've ever sold.

not bad my friend!....my family owns a photography company...we photograph mostly action and portrait...not much landscape though...although most people don't think photography is hard..it truly is...it is an art form...i mean for one you gotta have the "photographer's eye" then you gotta know your camera (we use the Canon Eos1d mark II) and know how to set all the apature, white ballance, speed, and so forth.....but like i said before....good job! thats awesome work!

heres a link to our site
http://www.shelleyphoto.photoreflect.com

That's a nice camera and you've got a couple of nice lenses. I really like film "35mm" but, i really enjoy digital too. lol - i've got an old Pentex 35mm camera that I've had since high school. It still works great.

But, at the end of this summer, when my "extra cash flow" is available, i might break down and buy a (Canon EOS-D30 dSLR) with probably a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 and a EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8

Probably in the $2200 range for the body and lenses. Another $200 for a 2-4GiG flash card... Extra battery, fancy bag...

Yeah. I can't wait.

H4x3r said:
not bad my friend!....my family owns a photography company...we photograph mostly action and portrait...not much landscape though...although most people don't think photography is hard..it truly is...it is an art form...i mean for one you gotta have the "photographer's eye" then you gotta know your camera (we use the Canon Eos1d mark II) and know how to set all the apature, white ballance, speed, and so forth.....but like i said before....good job! thats awesome work!
Absolutly! Its easy to make quick snaps, but to really get a shot that "pops", it takes alot of skill and patience--ALOT of patience. I was shooting for a little over an hour for this (while the light was still right) and i've spent about another 4 hours in all doing post-processing for them. I know my camera like the back of my hand, but not photochop, and if I knew how to use photochop well, than my post-processing time would have been probably about an hour becuase i'd know where everything is.

H4x3r said:
That's a nice camera and you've got a couple of nice lenses. I really like film "35mm" but, i really enjoy digital too. lol - i've got an old Pentex 35mm camera that I've had since high school. It still works great.

But, at the end of this summer, when my "extra cash flow" is available, i might break down and buy a (Canon EOS-D30 dSLR) with probably a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 and a EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8

Probably in the $2200 range for the body and lenses. Another $200 for a 2-4GiG flash card... Extra battery, fancy bag...

Yeah. I can't wait.

2GB is enough for an 8MP camera shooting in RAW (ALWAYS use RAW format if you know your going to be doing alot of photochop work). If you don't mind a small SLR (rebel XT size) you might want to seriously consider going for a Pentax *ist DS, DL, or DL2. That way, you'd be able to use your old lenses off of your 35mm. The only reason I see the switch to be worth it is if your lenses are really really bad, or the *ist cameras are just too small.

Canon makes very high quality equipment. I've only used the EOS 20D and EOS 5D. The 20D felt a bit plasticy for me, and was a bit small. I have really big hands so Canon bodies like the EOS 20/30D, and EOS Rebel XT were just out of the question. I absolutly hate the Rebel XT becuase its too dang small, has a limited selection of lenses, and is way overpriced. I'm sticking with Nikon beucase I think Nikon has better glass and the D200 not only is in my price range, but with the MBD200 vertical grip is just the right size to fit my hands.

Before you go out and spend a few thousand dollars on an SLR, you need to find your nearest Canon and Nikon dealer in town and actually hold cameras from BOTH companies. You might find that a D50 or D70s is more of your liking.

SLR's are so alike nowadays, that the way they feel in your hand should be the only reason you go with something. I was going to buy a Nikon D70s earlier, but after I felt how it was in my hands, it just seemed too plasticy for me and was too lightweight, even though it was big enough. It also has slow AF with my lenses. I picked up a D200, but a vertical grip for it and I didnt' even have to take any shots with it becuase I knew it was the right one. Once I did take shots with it, the AF was lightning fast and the LCD let me review my photos in great detail.

Also, DO NOT go with the kit lenses for the EOS 20/30D. There is no such thing as a good quality kit lens IMO. If you're going to buy an SLR, buy the body only and buy yoru lenses sepratly. for telephoto lenses(anywhere between 70mm and 300mm), I suggest saving up money and going the extra mile for an f/2.8 one becuase you'll be able to hand-hold it without having to bump up the ISO. If financially possible, try not to get 3rd part lenses from Tamron or Sigma. With lenses, you get what you pay for. Sigma and Tamron lenses are cheap peices of ****. Just look through them and look at their max aperture.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom