Booting problem

swamp_rattler

Baseband Member
On my Emachines desktop, the booting process doesn't seem to be working properly. It is taking longer than normal to boot, and sometimes fails upon reaching the blue Welcome screen, at which point it starts over. When it does load to my desktop, sometimes a message pops up:

"This system is shutting down. Please save all work and log off. This shutdown was initiated by the NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM.

Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly."

A countdown is associated with this message.

And once, while browsing the internet, the computer just shut down.

What could be the problem?

Thanks!

It sounds like it could be a virus.
run a virus scan and look in msconfig for any unusual processes in the startup tab
To run mscofig type msconig in the run command box

I had a problem like that in the tech office. Turned out to be a dead motherboard. More likely, could also be a corrupt file or something and it just restarts because it doesn't know what to do. Maybe try reinstalling the OS if the computer came with recovery CD's.

Edit: also try booting in safe mod.

Report back to us.

I tried to restore my computer to an earlier point...but it won't go through. It just says it cannot be restored to that point. Virus?

Sounds like you got the w32.blaster.worm

Download this

That one got me the first time I ever built a pc. It had me rattled because I had no idea what was going on....lol I thought I had overheating problems or something. Firewalls are the answer to not getting it again.

Back
Top Bottom