Boot record not found...

inbrino

Baseband Member
Hi,
Im trying to reinstall my pc and so I have put the windows xp home disk into the dvd drive, but when I reboot the computer windows just loads from the harddisk.
'Ahhh', you say, 'change boot sequence in BIOS'.
Yeah ive done that. The boot screen shows 'searching for boot record from cdrom...not found'. It then proceeds to search the floppy and then boot from the harddisk.

The same problem happend when I was putting the same disk in an old cdrom drive, I tried several times. So, I put the same xp disk in the cdwriter drive below. Same problem ('boot record not found...' happend about three times and then decided to work. I then successfully reinstalled windows.

Windows however, didnt really want to work. It reboots itself as and when it pleases. So, I have got rid of the original cdrom drive and installed a dvdwriter drive. I am trying to reformat and reinstall again, which brings me back to my problem - the boot sequence wont find boot record from dvd drive.

Does this sound like a hardware error to you guys? Or just a crappy xp home disk?(no scratches are present on disk, and it has been used successfully before)

Any ideas? Im sorry its such a vague question after a long thread but anyhelp would be much appreciated!!!

ps Oh yeah, a quick side question. When trying to get boot from cd to work, I kept restarting my computer. Eventually when I turned on the computer the power light would come on but there would be no picture on the monitor. I got mad and so left it for about a week. Its working now, allowing me to get annoyed by original question outlined above.
Any ideas?

Did you try checking the cables that connect to your cd-rom, one of them may be loose or dissconnected that could cause this problem.

You will have to take the cover off for this one.

i've heard from another reliable source that it may be a scratched CD. Do you have another you could try.

is the cdrom set as a master on the jumper setting if not it will not boot the cdrom 1st also try using the recovery console from the xp disc rather than installing all widows again as this will save loads of time by just repairing windows. insert the disc then goto the commant promp and type the letter of you cdrom and then this e:\winnt32.exe /cmdcons this will install the recovery console

Back
Top Bottom