boot an os off hard drive?

esa193

Fully Optimized
ok i have a vista serial but my dog ate the disk so i dowloaded the torrent
can i boot vista froma minhard drive like an ipod
cuz i dont have a dvd burner
so could i just load up and install from the ipod?

LOL dog ate the disk :rolleyes:

I think you might be able to if the motherboard u have supports booting from USB devices. Mine does and i tried it today altho vista, which was already on it, didnt like it, it crashed, only way i cud get it to boot was to physically install the drive. But that might have been cos i installed vista when the disk was inside the pc, not in usb.

Anyway, i guess u need to check in ur mobo and see if it lets u select usb device as a boot disk.

esa193 said:
ok i have a vista serial but my dog ate the disk

LOL

I'm not sure about the answer, but my guess is that won't work. Just borrow a drive from someone.

Thats new so im guessing you shud have the option to boot from a usb hdd in the bios, thats if the pc recognises an ipod as usb hdd.

yes you can boot off of usb with the 680 boards. I'm not sure exactly how tho, i just know my manual covered it.

do any of your friends have the same versino of vista as you? Because if done for backup (or in your case replacement) of a disk (NOT TO BE SOLD), you can make copies of the vista dvd with nero.

just to restate myself to keep us out of trouble. DO NOT SELL OR GIVE AWAY THE BURNED DVD. that is illegal. burning a copy to replace a ligit copy is ok (or so i'm told at work see as how we use burned ones to install windows on service machines.)

Just wait for nature to take its course, wash the disc and ya good to go ha ha. :)

Not sure if you have any more pcs in the house, but if you have, then you could maybe do a network install from the other pc.

cant you put the files on your hdd, then get into dos some how and install like that. thats how i used to install wid 98 lol.

Raffaz said:
Just wait for nature to take its course, wash the disc and ya good to go ha ha. :)

Not sure if you have any more pcs in the house, but if you have, then you could maybe do a network install from the other pc.

the seiral must have a business license to do a network boot and install it(not just bussiness edition)

maybee call microsoft and see if they will give you a new disk with a recipt or proof of purchase and the cd key sticker

Back
Top Bottom