Book suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenenbaum

In Runtime
Well, I recently bought a book for C++, and it didn't fare to well.
So, I've been trying to learn as much as I can from the video tutorials on www.3dbuzz.com

Though, I am willing to spend in excess of 80$ for a new book, that will teach me from bottom to top about C++.

I can't afford school at the moment, and not including I refuse to go to ITT Tech, as the school by me doesn't have any good teachers.
I hear tons of bad reviews about ITT Tech, and I don't think spending 40k every 2 years on it is worth it.

Any suggestions on learning on my own?
Any good beginner books to suggest?

I truly appreciate it, and know that it is C++ that I am going to learn, I will learn others later. (I have certain things planned to do with C++ at the moment)

Thanks

Yea I actually do have a couple of recommendations.

First though:
are you usually a self-taught type of person?
do you have any programming background? (type doesn't matter....more for terminology purposes)

From personal experiences, I dont like "for dummies" books. So I would stay away from them.

EDIT: I was trying to remember the dudes name from the ones that I have (The 3 that I have are boxed up) and after a few pages from amazon I found the guy I was trying to find: Scott Meyers.
Amazon.com: Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series): Scott Meyers: Books
There are 3 that he has on C++, this is the third. (Effective C++, More Effective C++ and Effective STL) but if you are a beginner, you might want to try a more ground base level reference first.

EDIT AGAIN: Sorry, I just saw that you are looking for a beginner based level book :( I probably wouldn't be able to recommend a good C++ beginner book. I teach myself a lot and I feel that a lot of beginner books go really slow for my pace and I skip around way too much to recommend a good one. He is a good author though :)

Yea I actually do have a couple of recommendations.

First though:
are you usually a self-taught type of person?
do you have any programming background? (type doesn't matter....more for terminology purposes)

Yes, I'm usually self taught, through books and such.
But, having a guide of some type, or help, is definitely a plus. (Then I know if I'm wrong or not) (Then I can ask questions if I don't get something, but thats irrelevant)

The only programming background I have at the moment is what I have learned recently through these video tutorials and this book, which isn't much at all.

Appreciate it.

Well, I do appreciate the help, any other suggestions for a good beginner book?

Edit: I took a look at the book you suggested jaeusm, It says it requires some background knowledge of other languages, and it seems pretty advanced, as I won't understand any of it.
So, any suggestions on a beginner book?

Edit 2: After doing some research, I came up with these books for a beginner.
Amazon.com: Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example (C++ In-Depth Series): Andrew Koenig, Barbara E. Moo: Books
Amazon.com: C++ from the Ground Up, Third Edition: Herbert Schildt: Books

Anyone have any experience with these books?

I've started on Accelerated C++, it seems pretty decent.

My friend swears up and down on Sams C++ in 24 hours or whatever it is, the newer one. He's quite good with C++, and learned from that book.

I took a look at the book you suggested jaeusm, It says it requires some background knowledge of other languages, and it seems pretty advanced, as I won't understand any of it.
So, any suggestions on a beginner book?
It is a beginner book, regardless of what others may say. It comes with some tutorials on a CD if you need extra help with the material.

I've started on Accelerated C++, it seems pretty decent.

My friend swears up and down on Sams C++ in 24 hours or whatever it is, the newer one. He's quite good with C++, and learned from that book.

I have found that those 24 hours books are usually hit or miss for people, but they do work for some (not for me).

These books I have seen and highly recommend (even as a fairly experienced programmer I found these to be great introductions!)
Amazon.com: C++ Primer Plus (5th Edition): Stephen Prata: Books
Amazon.com: Starting Out with C++: From Control Structures through Objects (6th Edition) (Starting Out With...): Tony Gaddis: Books

If you get a good handle on the basics too, you might want to consider buying this one to get more experienced, it was written by Bjarne Stroustrup who designed and created the C++ language! :)
Amazon.com: The C++ Programming Language: Special Edition (3rd Edition): Bjarne Stroustrup: Books

Hopefully this is helpful :) With programming though a big tip is to take the examples and mess with them (even if it breaks them) to try and get a better feel for exactly what is going on, the less magical it seems the better off you'll be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom