Bogus XP Pro? No problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Bogus XP Pro? No problem
As part of its growing antipiracy campaign, Microsoft is testing a program that offers free licensed versions of Windows XP Professional to some customers whose copies are found to be bogus.

The move is the latest in a series of expansions for the Windows Genuine Advantage program, which Microsoft quietly launched last September. The program, which runs software that verifies whether a particular copy of Windows is legitimately licensed, is the linchpin of a campaign by Microsoft to boost the number of paying customers among the millions of people that use Windows.

Starting Wednesday, customers in the United States whose copies of Windows XP Professional do not pass validation will be presented with the option of getting a free licensed copy. To do so, customers will have to fill out a counterfeit report with Microsoft and be able to provide the Windows disk they have as well as some kind of receipt for their purchase.

"Our goal is really to ensure that the complimentary offer is for people who really truly were unknowing victims of counterfeit," said David Lazar, director of the Genuine Windows program.

Those who don't have the disk or the receipt are eligible to buy a licensed copy online for $149. That's less than the cost of a full copy of Windows XP Pro but more than what customers pay when they get Windows on a new PC.

If home was the same price as a game I would buy it

Even though I do already own 4 legal copy's, I need 5

I got a counterfeit copy loaded on my PC, however I do have the 2 liecenses anyways. One of them I purchased via work for a Tax write off. The other I got from work's MS Action pack program.

The reason being is that I do not want to have to ring up and explain to Microsoft why I had to FORMAT my hard drive and reinstall Windows again just because I upgraded the motherboard, I had a virus, or I just FUBARed the OS.

Personally i think it's bullshit that we have to activate our copy of Windows. And MS starts getting a little shitty after the 3rd or 4th time.
And at the end of the day, I am not doing anything wrong with legitamate copy of Windows.

Products like OFFICE I can under stand. But the Operating System with activatation.

Also I find that it's BS the price that they as for the OS. I beleave that the OS should be free or all cheaper, and things like Office should be where MS makes money on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom