Blue screens of death!

PaperPlunger

In Runtime
Hey guys, I have a question. I built my machine about a month or two ago, and this is what I bought:

ASUS A8N-SLI-Prmeium
PQI 1g (2.5-3-3-5) (soon to be 2)
160g WD hdd
AMD 4600+ proc
XFX 7600GT pci-e (soon two be 2)
Rosewill 550w

peripherals etc..

The first windows install I performed was fine for about 3 hours, when my computer refused to load anything... I mean it shut down and stopped loading windows. I resolved that by reinstalling windows. Everything was fine for a while, and still is, minus a few things that are happening.

Recently, or rather, since I built the computer, the infamous blue screen pops up, and my compy restarts. Sometimes it restarts without the blue screen of death, too. Now the problem I have with that mainly is, if there is a problem with my configuration, or drivers, wouldn't I know it? As in, wouldn't it find corrupted files, etc? Speaking of corrupted files, I ran a checkdisk, and it found quite a few errors. It resolved everyone of them with no errors (thank god).

My computer runs perfectly well, everything is fine, proc running 31c ATM and 40ish under heavy load. So if everything runs fine, why is my computer rebooting and giving blue screens? I have run virus scans and spyware sweeps etc. to no avail. Heres a stumper, when the computer reboots and DOESN'T get a blue screen (randomly turns off and on) windows loads like nothing happened. On the other hand, when the computer reboots and DOES get a blue screen, when I log in, I get the message "Windows has recovered from a serious error" thing. I send MS the report, and check it out myself. Every piece of info about what the problem may be says unknown or something of the sort. MS knows nothing of the problem...

The computer runs perfectly fine, but I really want to know how to stop this from continuing to happen. At the moment, it doesn't seem to be hurting the computer, considering it still runs fine and lightning fast. But what if it starts to hurt the computer? Would it? Could it?

My questions are 1) How do I stop this form happening? 2) What type of problem do you think it is/why is it happening? and 3) Could it be a registry problem, as I haven't checked there yet.

Thanks in advance

EDIT
I just downloaded Registry Mechanic really quickly and ran a check. It found like 116 errors and 91 are restricted because I'm not gonna buy it.. lol Anyhow, it found an error with AMDCPU.exe and a few other CPU related things, that may be the problem, but I'll find out

Wow, it's tough to say what the problem is. What I would do is reinstall again-but don't install any drivers but the motherboard utility and the Nvidia drivers. Let it run for a few days and see how that works out. Install minimal drivers as necessary. Don't intall any other programs and such. Or you can always run the registry fix to see what that does.

Happened to me but it wasn't a hardware problem

Tried safe mode? GO into safe mode and disable all services and startup items, Then try logging in... Then just enable the stuff you need

id say its most likely a driver problem. Go into safe mode and see if it still crashes. I had the same problem. I figured out it was the drivers by installing windows vista beta and it was perfectly stable. Also, another problem of mine was i downloaded a few updates (extra updates) that it said were ok for my comp but really werent.

Have you tested your RAM? If not, then download memtest and run it. Might help if you posted the full BSOD error on here aswell. Just wondering if you have overclocked it, if ya have then return it to stock speeds and see what happens.

Make sure you install all the windows updates first of all.

If not you might want to run MemTest to see if your RAM is faulty.

But I would say it is probably a driver problem like the above posters, are you using updated drivers? Try and uninstall each one and see what happens. Reinstall them one at a time and see if it freezes.

Lightning_Rider said:
Make sure you install all the windows updates first of all.

If not you might want to run MemTest to see if your RAM is faulty.

But I would say it is probably a driver problem like the above posters, are you using updated drivers? Try and uninstall each one and see what happens. Reinstall them one at a time and see if it freezes.

1) Yes, I have all of the updates for windows.

2) I ran a memtest and it did it's thing. As soon as the RAM hit 100% pass, the test restarted. What's up with that? Per test it found around 160,000 errors. Why did it restart? Is it supposed to? I was expecting a screen at the end that told me if my ram was ok or not... but I saw no such screen.

3) I have all updated drivers, and none of which are beta drivers.

The ramtest will do more than one test, because you might have intermittant errors. So the test found 160,000 errors? If thats right then thats the problem

Raffaz said:
The ramtest will do more than one test, because you might have intermittant errors. So the test found 160,000 errors? If thats right then thats the problem

Yeah man, the ram isn't even 1 month old though, i mean wtf?!

The reviews said it was very good, and that it was passing memtest86 without flaw... So why would there be a problem? Brand new ram, tons of thousands of errors? my kinda fun!

Doesnt matter how old it is, send it back and get it replaced. Or if it was me personally i would get another brand. Any company that managed to send that out without it being checked and caught is sh*t IMO

Back
Top Bottom