Blocking the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerulean

In Runtime
Hey all and happy 4th! I have a home network setup with several computers, but one of them has Windows XP x64 Edition installed. Of course Symantec doesn't have any real firewall protection for this OS yet, but it really isn't all that necessary in my case. This computer doesn't need internet access, but does need access to the other computers on the network. Is there a way to block ALL internet connection packets (both in and out) to this machine without disabling it from the network? Windows Firewall isn't doing the trick. Thanx for your help! :)

I'm pretty sure if you have a router, you can block it's IP address and ports TCP/UDP 0-65535. It should be able to still access the network but won't be able to leave out to the Internet.

Make sure those port are assoicated with that particular IP or else you'll be blocking the entire network. If your router lets you specify just the IP, I think that would work too.

Ouch. Well I tried it, and while it didn't impair the connection to any of the other machines, it won't network to them now either. Did eliminate the internet as an issue though. Is their a way block all packets and ports from anywhere outside the network without blocking the ones coming from within? Thanx again :)

EDIT:

Oops. Let me rephrase that. The isolated machine can access other computers on the network, but they can't access the isolated machine.

Okay here's what I'm trying to do. Since this computer has over a Terabyte of storage capacity I'm trying to make one of its uses like a secure external storage device.

Cerulean said:
It's a netgear wireless g router. i believe the w series.

You can try to block the PC from accessing internet in the router, this is the best way.

Which I was able to do, but now the other computers on the network can't access it. Is there a way to allow connectivity to the other machines without having to worry about the internet?

What did you do, did you specify just the IP address to be block? Or did you specify the entire ports with it also?

You need to leave open ports UDP port 137 and 138 and TCP port 139 and 445 for file sharing to work on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom