Blasted screws, anyone have any Holy water......?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
Does anyone know of a quick solution mixture that will loosen up old screws in computers and old machinery ?

For the life of me, I am having some real problem trying to get loose one screw that was originally put in by toshiba.
I have 2 other phones that the screws are so tight its making m fingers turn red and burn.
I dont think this was needed for computer hardware as this thread might be quick and strike up some other stuff you guys maybe doing off and on like me.

Usually if I can get a pair of vice grips to bite onto the head of the screw, I can get them to clamp down ultra tight and use that to force screws to come loose.

If there are no electronics involved that are sensitive to oils/lubricants, PB Blaster = mans best invention.

Another thing you can try is moar leverage. Get a long screwdriver with a hole in the handle, e.g
screwdriver.jpg

Then just stick another screwdriver or metal rod through that hole, and use that to turn the screwdriver.

Angle grinder, defs an angle grinder haha.

But seriously, try forcing the screw back with some force (hammer or clamps or something along those lines).

Just don't damage any hardware.

Angle grinder, defs an angle grinder haha.

But seriously, try forcing the screw back with some force (hammer or clamps or something along those lines).

Just don't damage any hardware.

Hehe, I figured someone might tell me to try to a do force removal.
When I get back from work at 3pm, I'll try some plyer and try to clamp and pull up gently.

Is they used red locktite or something similar, it can be near impossible to remove. You can heat the screw with the tip of a soldering gun.
Be careful though as this is a computer we are talking about. Don't remelt any solder.

For the old machienery, this technique should be fine. Be sure that there is not excess oil/grease that is readily flammable nearby.

I hate when they used RED loctite, blue is chill, it holds, but red is meant for extreme high pressure/torque situations, not little screws!

Yea, a good soldering iron touching the screw for a short while, should help loosen it up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom