BitTorrent Kills My internet Connection!

Andrew2020

In Runtime
I was starting some pritty big downloads with BitTorrent on Tuesday night. When I looked at the downloads the next morning they where only at 2%.(Due to the size I was Expecting them to be done) I Noticed none of my BitTorrent downloads where not going above 3.1kb/s. My downloads usually go around 80kb/s to 150 kb/s.(I have all my ports forwarded correctly) When I am downloading I try to never max out my speed so I have speed to browse and maybe a play game every now and again. But now when I even open my bit torrent program and have torrent information going through my internet connection, my internet connection seems to just die. On every port not just my BitTorrent port.
This is my ping speed with google when I do not have my BitTorrent Client Open.
notorrentpinggoogle.jpg

This is my ping speed with google when I do have my BitTorrent Client Open.
torrentpinggoogle.jpg

(I have tried Encrypted protocols on my bittorrent client and it did not help.)
I have been downloading with torrents for years and I have never had any problem like this.

Have you tried the simple, restart of modem and router? and also ipconfig /release and /renew? I know sometimes that might spark the connection back.

medabomb2000 said:
Have you tried the simple, restart of modem and router? and also ipconfig /release and /renew? I know sometimes that might spark the connection back.

Yes.
My connection goes back to full speed the second I stop traffic of torrents.

What client are you using? Also, maybe your connection was just slow that night or you couldn't get enough seeders, try the download again.

freestyler105 said:
What client are you using? Also, maybe your connection was just slow that night or you couldn't get enough seeders, try the download again.

I use 3 Client's with the same result every time. (Azureus, BitComet and µTorrent). I choose my torrent files baced on the amount of seeds, all my downloads have atleast 100 seeds. It is not my connection being slow, I have downloaded over 630GB in the last 5 months. With no Problems, but now when I start a download going 1 kb/s with a torrent. MY ping goes from 40 to about 3500 ms. On my WHOLE connection not just the ports I have the torrent traffic on.

Hmm...does it happen no matter what you're downloading, even a very popular (500+ seeds) one? Also, try changing the ports Bittorrent is using. It's possible that your ISP is blocking those ports or something. If you do that, make sure you configure port forwarding again though.

ALL torrent clients screw your ping as far as i know. its a factor of the protocol.
i never came across a client where you can voip/game/blah without being affected by a torrent in europe.
i wish one was out there.

limiting utorrent to, maybe, 5 or 10kB up brings the ping down a fair whack but its not great overall.

direct download or news servers are so much better (nothing goes up) but in the 4 countries i have lived in i only know of free.fr and tweakdsl.nl that give you true inclusive access for adsl customers. so many isp's are cutting back...

utorrent, i could get 130kBps down max on a good day and then not do much else, i can get 1200kBps down with a news server/direct http and the ping is fine....

the same thing happens to me sometimes if I download too much in a short perioid of time. Rebooting the router fixes it for me.

parismouton said:
ALL torrent clients screw your ping as far as i know. its a factor of the protocol.

Not 3000+ when I am only using 1KB/s Bandwidth. I have a ping good enough to game if im downloading at 100KB/s.

I called my isp and I pulled some strings. All the person that I talked to did was open my ports(atleast I got something). The agent I talked to said that limewire will slow your connection down. (She did not know what she was talking about because it does not). Basicly all she said was dont use p2p programs or it will slow your connection down. Im going to call back and talk to someone who knows what there talking about. I pay for a full internet connection and I want a Full High Spped internet connection 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom