BIOS UPDATE first time

Kadillaxin

Solid State Member
Hello guys. Still working on making my old brick work a little better. I don't use it for much since I graduated college. I just wanted to make a couple things work better.

I have lost the use of several of my usb ports. They all have power, but have lost data transferability. So, I did some research and found that (after trying the uninstall drivers in devices) maybe I needed a BIOS update.

My computers BIOS info is this:

Phoenix Technologies LTD ASUS M2N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 0205, 6/30/2006

Yes, its that old. I found this website:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download M2N-E

My question is, which update do I install?

TIA!:)

I'm not sure about the BIOS update. Do any USb devices work or is it just storage devices?

Sometimes a virus could cause USB storage devices to stop functioning.

I have 10 USB ports total.

Two of them don't work because my tower used to be on the floor. I had a thumb drive in one of the ports and while walking by one day I hit the thumb drive with my foot. I broke both ports that day (hand slap face).

Four of them are the the bottom rear of the tower and I didn't even remember them being there. Anyway, I plug anything into those and all I get it power, no data.

Three of the remaining four (all four located on the back near the top next to my audio and ethernet cable ports) work fine. One of the four in the cluster used to work and now its down to just power, no data.

I do not have any yellow exclamation marks next to anything when I bring up device manager. In fact, there is no change whatsoever inserting then removing a usb device on the lower four USB ports on the back.

When I put something in the last USB port that used to work (now only power, no data) it says "Unknown device" then says something along the lines of no driver for this device. I have tried using the USB mouse in this port (same message, uknown device no driver) then I immediately switch it to one of the other USB ports that work (power & data) and the mouse resumes usability immediately.

If you really think that upgrading the BIOS will work then take the Version 1703, I wouldn't want to use and BETA version BIOS in case of stability issues. Personally I wouldn't think that flashing to a new BIOS will help your USB problem seeing how the USB ports worked before. Although you can give it a try and if it works its your win.

But yeah make sure you back up your stuff before flashing and it could be as what OhSnapWord mentions, you have a virus that may stop USBs working.

Be absolutely certain about flashing the bios. Unless you have a recently modern mother board, a botched flash will leave you with an expensive door prop.

OKay, well if you don't think a BIOS would work, what else would you suggest to try and revive my USB ports??

Give the clean install a go, see what happens. You can also run a Live CD of other OSes like Linux and see if all your hardware works such as your USB ports, if they work then its possible that there are issues inside the XP.

Back
Top Bottom