BIOS disabling everything automatically

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
This started about 2 weeks ago I think. I could shut down or hibernate my computer and when I went to power it up again the BIOS settings would be all disabled and I'd have to load the defaults and change what needed to be changed again. It didn't do it every time at first, now every time I power it on I have to go through resetting everything. It's getting really annoying to have to do this with my 2 month old PC... I tried updating the BIOS, no luck. I though maybe something was wrong with the OS. I was running XP x64 when it started. I gave up on x64 b/c it was a pain and went back to XP 32 bit with a random key I found. It's still doing it even with XP 32bit. What do you think the problem is? It's got nothing to do with the OS for sure, unless my system hates Windows in general now... I hope my mobo's not going bad...

Yeah, just take the battery to a watch/jewellery store, and they'll usually have replacements that'll work perfectly fine.
Make sure to take note of the model number of the battery.

It's not resetting everything, but disabling everything, is that a sign of a dead battery?

I may have one lying around somewhere if my older systems use the same battery. I'll check the model #'s and see if it works with a good battery.

I found a battery and installed it. It seems to be working fine now. I took out the old battery and had it unplugged before putting in the other one and it retained all the settings even without a battery or power for a short time... Maybe the battery was so bad that it just took out the BIOS settings each time. Thanks guys. I don't know why I didn't really think of the battery. I sorta did, but it didn't seem like it would be the problem in a 2 month old mobo...

Would give rep, but can't.

If you pulled a battery from an old system, you might want to go to a local shop within the next few weeks to get a new one, hard telling how long the one in there now will last.

I've had batteries that have lasted quite a while on me. I got 4 more batteries if this one dies anytime soon, lol. They were pulled out of older mobos quite a while back and have just been laying around my computer room, so the power probably hasn't gone down as much as if they were just pulled. I'm too cheap to get a new one just yet. :p

What version BIOS are you running? some earlier versions had sleep issues. Also, if you have Ntune installed on your computer, that could cause that (happened to me).

Just updated to the most recent BIOS on EVGA's website. I have nTune installed. I'll see what the battery does for now. I haven't turned it off since I posted that it worked. Anyway to keep nTune and stop the problem if that is the problem? I use the nVidia Monitor a lot. If it's nTune though, why did it recently just start?

EDIT: Well... I guess it wasn't the battery. I powered it off for awhile and came back later and it did the same thing again. If it's nTune do I just need to uninstall it, or is there a working update?

Back
Top Bottom