Bible

Hmmm, i thought the ten commandments came from the new testament, so they wouldnt have been about if thats from the old testament.:)

Hmmm, i thought the ten commandments came from the new testament, so they wouldnt have been about if thats from the old testament.:)

The Ten Commandments were from the Old Testament, weren't they? Moses brought them down from Mount Sinai, not Jesus.

No the Ten Commandments were given to Moses, at Mt Sinai, and they were given to place a law on the people as the 12 tribes of Isreal travelled to the promised land.

In the New Testament Jesus gave to two commandments, and also proclaimed that they was the new law.

It should be noted that the ten commandments form the basis of our moral and ethical basis in most of the western world.

In terms of the verses quoted by Steff, in the Old testament, Jehovah was seen as a vengeful god, that he would punish the non believers, those that strayed from him, etc......in that particular time that the book was writing about it was a time of war, between the neighbouring nations, and tribes in those areas.

In the new testament it talks about a loving god, a forgiving god, the fact that Jesus was supposed to have died for our sins so that we could once more enter heaven and have communion with god. Previous to the crucifixion of Jesus there was no access to God etc.....due to Adam and Eve being kicked out the garden of Eden........

However this is all open to interpretation, and well I don't have any judeo christian beliefs, but I do think the bible was written to provide encouragement to people in difficult times.

It was also their to keep people in line and provide a law based society....that to me is the purpose of religion to give people hope that there is something after death, that we all have a sense of destiny.

Ah well that explains it. Never was good at RE, i think its all complete BS, and it shows by my knowledge lol:)

If adam and eve were the start of the human race, wouldnt we all be deformed and have multiple diseases due to insest? Dunno just wondering :p

If adam and eve were the start of the human race, wouldnt we all be deformed and have multiple diseases due to insest? Dunno just wondering :p

In the book of Genesis (First book of the Bible) NO WHERE does it say that Adam and Eve were the first people, they were the first NAMED people.

Genesis 1:26-28 (King James Version of the Bible)

26: And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28: And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

That was the sixth day creation. Later on in Genesis when it talks of Noah and the flood (you know...two of every creature on the ark, alot of rain lol) in the original text it says to bring two of every "Flesh" on the ark, which included humans...two of every race. so biblically God made every race, red, yellow black and white on the 6th day.

Another thing is people have to remember that the Bible wasn't written in English and a certain word we use may not do the original text justice.

Deuteronomy 20:13-14 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)

13And when the LORD thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword:

14But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.

Deuteronmy 20:10-16 New American Standard Bible(NASB)10"When you approach a city to fight against it, you shall offer it terms of peace.

11"If it agrees to make peace with you and opens to you, then all the people who are found in it shall become your (H)forced labor and shall serve you.

12"However, if it does not make peace with you, but makes war against you, then you shall besiege it.

13"When the LORD your God gives it into your hand, (I)you shall strike all the men in it with the edge of the sword.

14"Only the women and the children and (J)the animals and all that is in the city, all its spoil, you shall take as booty for yourself; and you shall use the spoil of your enemies which the LORD your God has given you.

15"Thus you shall do to all the cities that are very far from you, which are not of the cities of these nations nearby.

16"(K)Only in the cities of these peoples that the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, you shall not leave alive anything that breathes.

Exodus 20:12-17 NASB 12 “Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
13 “You must not murder.
14 “You must not commit adultery.
15 “You must not steal.
16 “You must not testify falsely against your neighbor.
17 “You must not covet your neighbor's house. You must not covet your neighbor's wife, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or anything else that belongs to your neighbor.”

If you want to argue about the Bible, make sure you read it before hand.

1) Deutronomy is talking about WAR.
2) Ten Commandments says Murder not killing
3) War is not Murder
---

Further agruements:

1) God not the same in NT and OT.

Hmm.. the NT does quote the OT including the ten commandments, or some of the writers talk about following the ten commandments.

Jesus said, that the GREATEST commadments where Love God, and Love your neighbors and all the of the rest will follow:
Matthew22:36-40 36"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?"

37And He said to him, " '(AC)YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'

38"This is the great and foremost commandment.

39"The second is like it, '(AD)YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'

40"(AE)On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Also, as far as God being different, thats completely insaine. God is till the same. Jesus was still there in the OT. Nothing has changed. To get the New testament you have to read the Old Testament and vice versa.

Genesis 1:26 NASB 26Then God said, "Let (AE)Us make(AF)man in Our image,according to Our likeness; and let them (AG)rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

Both testaments, are the whole bible, you can't have one without the other. God was still as vengence and wrathful in the New testament as he was in the Old testament.

I've a feeling that most of you aren't all that religious, so I'd suggest treading carefully, as this could very easily end up bad. I'd seriously suggest not saying religion is hypocritical until you've given time to actually read the bible, nor would I suggest calling other morons for not being so up on their New/Old testament. I'm not trying to start a flame war here, as I'm sure it'd be easy to make the assumption that religion is hypcritical, but I just wanted to make sure it didn't get too far.

Most of it is BS anyway, we are lead to believe so much stuff just for peice of mind when we die. I'm not saying its not true, but cmon, we have to believe something that was wrote before any of us were alive? Theres no solid proof of some of the events that happend, only a book written freaking millions of years ago. I personal do believe in something, but do keep an open mind about things and do question things :)

The verses after that explain another reason why they killed them. So they would not fall into idol worship.

Back
Top Bottom