bf2 + Vista Ultimate = WTF

gplpark92

BSOD
I have Battlefield 2 for Windows, with all the new patches and all (1.4). I'm running on an overclocked XFX NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 256MB AGP Card :D .

On Windows XP, BF2 runs almost PERFECT (Maxxed-out Graphics) and its smooth and beautiful :) .

Then a couple months ago I installed Vista Ultimate. I upgraded all my drivers and all, and BF2 Still runs smoothly, except on ALL LOW/OFF Graphics. If i try to do even "Medium", its slow as hell (10-15fps).

WHAT THE HELL Why is this happening?! Isn't vista supposed to be BETTER for gaming?

My specs are ok, my PC's about 3 years old (Card is brand new tho). Let me remind you, BF2 and other games ran PERFECTLY on XP.

Intel P4 530 - 3.02GHz Hyper Threading, 800MHz FSB
1GB DDR-400 SDRAM (I will upgrade to 2GB soon)
120GB SATA Hard Drive
XFX GeForce 7600GT AGP 256MB
Windows P*ssta Ultimate

Also, would dual-booting help?

I am thinking of doing that, and splitting my hard drive for XP and Vista, overcoming the entire situation... What do you think?

I guess that's your choice...........some users are doing this until better drivers are available for gaming on Vista.

I'm not much into gaming so Vista is my OS of choice as I have had zero issues with it.

BTW - Vista can use almost 1GB RAM all by itself depending on what it's doing so a 2 GB machine is almost a necessity IMHO.

BF2 is a wonderful mystery. It's really all luck if it runs well or not. I think the 2GB of RAM will really make a difference. It seems like EA needs to release a compatability patch.

It also doesn't help that Nvidia's Vista drivers blow.

Yeah i think i'm gonna install all my games on XP, and everything else on Vista, (besides Halo 2)

and while i'm out getting a new GB, i should prob get another SATA hard drive while i'm at it. Do you think so?

120GB - 20GB reserved for music, 100 for Windows (it'll be 50/50 if i dont get a new drive)

NVIDIA drivers blow, but the cards are great
ATi cards blow, but Catalyst is excellent.

but back to the main question, i'm hoping its just the memory, as the last person said. Do you think otherwise?

bf2 needs a lot of ram. Vista needs a lot of ram.
1gb just isn't enough. Getting another gb would help alot.

yea. i would suggest 2gb+. even for people that dont play games. 1gb may seem ok now but it just doesnt satisfy may peoples needs, and it will even less in the near future

7 series drivers still suck. It runs slow on the gaming one in my sig. Would be great if they would release some good ones for 6 and 7 series cards for those of us unfortunate souls.

Back
Top Bottom