Better the devil you know

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonker

Beta member
I run a net business with a Linux server. The server is maintained by a web master in another country. Off course the WM has all the passwords etc even to my router that controls my desktop computer. My questions being can the WM access my computer via the server or via the router? If so how do I get my computer back so I am the only one who can access it?

Thanks very much
Zonker

Zonker,

You obviously didn't set this server up yourself otherwise you would have the account passwords, having said that do you know the password for the Root account? if so you can login as root and change the user account passwords from there and the WM wouldn't be able to touch you.

Otherwise contact him and ask him the account details (just the root account password, you can change the rest later from the root account)

OR

you can Backup your data with a knoppix live CD, wipe your current install and start again

To change your account details in Linux

(as root)

open terminal and Type passwd <username> and change it, done

please note account passwords should be more than 8 charicters long, with a mixtuire of letters, numbers and caps

Hope this helps,

Jake

Z server

The server is not the problem. I have the password for this. I just want to know can I be viewed what I am doing on my Desktop computer? or can my desktop be veiwed when I am not on it?

no, not unless software is installed on your PC first which would allow him to do this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom