BestBuy Charges $1,700 for CD Drive Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure ground is black.

Yeah ground is black and there's more then one. The green wire is the one that is +5v when the computer is off, but is at 0v when the PSU is on...IIRC if you want to test a PSU you can plug it into the wall and use a paperclip to touch the green wire to any black wire and if its a good PSU it will start up. I'm not sure though.

That would be funny but that would "damage" the PSU and they would have to use something to fix it. If you unplug the wire to the power button all they would have to do to fix it would be plug it back in and they wouldn't have to use anything but a screwdriver.

no it would not. it's easy to splice it back together ;p

I would like to unplug the wires that go from the power button to the mainboard of a crappy old PC and bring it to best buy and tell them "my PC wont start" and see how long it takes to fix it and how much the charge me and/or add new stuff that is not needed because all it would need is the wires being plugged back in.

I'd make sure it was junk, sign the work order with a fake name, and leave it there, if they ever came at me with a bill, play dumb "I never took a computer into here". 'sides those guys need more work anyways. they obviously get paid big bank (by the thread title).

I remember the clip where they unplugged a HDD cable and took it in to get fixed at a few different places and it turns out like only 1 or 2 shops were actually honest. Others were like your motherboard is fried or you need a new PSU or some crap.

There was an article somewhere a few years ago about how a guy who new what he was doing with computers but wanted to see if the computer shops were screwing people. So he took in the computer after switching the jumpers around on a cd rom drive ( it was an old computer so the jumpers being wrong actually wouldn't let the comp boot) and the shop got back to him a few days later and said they replaced the mobo and that it was going to cost 350 bucks. He got the computer back and it was the exact same mobo the serial number on it or something was the same yet it cost 350 to fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom