BestBuy Charges $1,700 for CD Drive Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
BestBuy Charges $1,700 for CD Drive Replacement?

How would you like to take your computer in to the Geek Squad to get a replacement CD drive (under warranty) and end up with all your data being lost and a $1,700 bill?

So, to make a long story short, the Best Buy Geek Squad is asking that we pay about $1,700 in for lab fees, an external hard drive and labor in order to MAYBE aquire about 80% of the data from my computer. When we called their corporate office, after a 2 hour phone call, my husband was told that the corporate office, "does not negotiate fees".

why does the title of their article say cd drive but the article ssays it's external harddrives?

anyway:

that's too expensive for something you can do yourself with the right stuff :\

The problem was the external. Once the Geek Idiots go hold of it it became everything else.

I realize that not every person working for the Geek Squad is an idiot, but it seems to be the majority.

I also realize that Best Buy makes them go by their standardized work requirements, but still... all this when the only problem was a fracking optical drive???

Now how the **** does one blow away a hard drive while changing a CD Rom is beyond me.

I've got a friend that works at best buy, it's a fairly good place to work (for a teenager) but he agrees with me that it sucks for everything else.

I would like to unplug the wires that go from the power button to the mainboard of a crappy old PC and bring it to best buy and tell them "my PC wont start" and see how long it takes to fix it and how much the charge me and/or add new stuff that is not needed because all it would need is the wires being plugged back in.

I've got a friend that works at best buy, it's a fairly good place to work (for a teenager) but he agrees with me that it sucks for everything else.

I would like to unplug the wires that go from the power button to the mainboard of a crappy old PC and bring it to best buy and tell them "my PC wont start" and see how long it takes to fix it and how much the charge me and/or add new stuff that is not needed because all it would need is the wires being plugged back in.

I remember seeing something like that on some show.

Some site did that, removed the wire, and went to see how much they would charge and how they'd fix it.

or better yet cut the ground (green) wire on the PSU mobo connector and take it in and see what they say :laughing:

or better yet cut the ground (green) wire on the PSU mobo connector and take it in and see what they say :laughing:

That would be funny but that would "damage" the PSU and they would have to use something to fix it. If you unplug the wire to the power button all they would have to do to fix it would be plug it back in and they wouldn't have to use anything but a screwdriver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom