Best time to build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer

In Runtime
I need to build a computer within the next 2 months. my question is... do i wait for Conroe and AM2 or build one with curret generation stuff? I need to buy by mid august at the latest, as i am going to college and cant easily build a computer in a dorm room. will either of those procs be available by then? if so, any suggestions on which would be better? (computer will be used for gaming)

Also what about the availability of good boards for AM2 and Conroe? and is DDR2 memory that much better than DDR?

Also will the be a descent price drop after the on the current generation when the am2 adn conroe comes out?

After looking at reviews for AM2 mobo's, it seems like many people are having problems with them. there is no solid AM2 motherboard right now, many are having memory issues and such. anyone know when DFI is planning on releasing an AM2 mobo? or suggest a good one out now?

grab an conroe E6600 and A conroe Motherboard when they come out, and then get some Get some nice ram and your good to go.

:cool:

AM2 is really easy get right now and Conroe should be (mid -aug) if Intel has mass amounts of them. If not, Conroe's will go out of stock fast.

Ya'know... to be honest... I have found over the last couple of years, there is never a "best time" to build... A lot will depend on what you want the system for and what you are willing to spend... sometimes getting the "latest" stuff is not cost effective if your only going to web surf, and email... end of this month (supposedly) AMD is droping prices... So if you give some thought to what you really are going to need the machine for and can wait until the end of the month... IMO I would wait... and I do agree that INTEL will be in short supply of the conroe's... cause think about the next gen GPU's that are coming later on this year as well... (See what I mean...)

but the only reason im hesitating ont he AM2 is that ther is no good motherboard with the AM2 socket. looking at the reviews on newegg, everyone has complaints about them. If ther were stable mobos, I would definately go with the AM2. also I will be doing gaming with it, and would like some room to upgrade, so going with a socket 939 seems like a bad idea. i was told intel's conroe will work on current motherboards?

Some yes. It requires a BIOS update though, and there may be some chipset difficulties. I agree though, all of the AM2 motherboards I've seen blow chunks.

Slayer said:
but the only reason im hesitating ont he AM2 is that ther is no good motherboard with the AM2 socket. looking at the reviews on newegg, everyone has complaints about them. If ther were stable mobos, I would definately go with the AM2. also I will be doing gaming with it, and would like some room to upgrade, so going with a socket 939 seems like a bad idea. i was told intel's conroe will work on current motherboards?

Just wait untill the Asus M2R32-MVP Deluxe comes out.. Thats a GREAT motherboard for AM2 and it should be out by teh price drop (if its not its not good business stratigy)

I cant find any spec sheets on it, but its the ATi Crossfire 3200 Chip(set) withthe RD580 Northbridge and the SB600 South.

I wish they would put IGP on it so you could run Crossfire with the board and one card!

EDIT: Found the information through ATi:

http://www.ati.com/buy/promotions/radeonxpressmobo/3200am2.html

I also found the same through ASUS Japan. But you need a translator to get it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom