Best tablet to get wife for Christmas?

PaulSed

Beta member
I have actually already purchased the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, but I am being plagued by doubts if I should have went with an IPad 2 instead.

My main reason for getting the Samsung is it is a lesser cost than Apple. I am out of work in a few months and do not have a new job lined up yet plus am paying off wedding bills, so I am trying to save a few $ where possible.

Having said that, I am not looking for marital or financial advice, spending an extra $100 on Apple wouldn't break the bank, but saving helps.

She is not a major technology person, I am sure she will not use any very unusual apps on her tablet. She likes to watch videos, take pics, browse online, etc. All pretty standard. Her brother is a major Apple guy, he has an IPad and he got his wife one for Christmas, so he may look down on me for getting his sister a Samsung. She normally does not care about brands, but not 100% sure in this case.

I should mention too that my wife has a Samsung phone, Galaxy 3 I think, so could they not be linked up? Might be some additional benefit there.

So what are your thoughts? I still have the receipt. Should I trade in for Apple or something else? Or am I good where I am?

iPad Mini w/Retina screen. $399 - same price as iPad 2 but the iPad Mini has more pixels, better cameras, better bluetooth/wifi, better processor (64 bit A7/M7 combo), lightning connector so its compatible with all the newest accessories, and it will fit in her purse more easily.

If you go with android/windows tablets, they will be junk by next Christmas.

Thanks for the replies. Thank you also for the advice on the IPad Mini, but one thing I forgot to mention is screen size is a big factor for her, another reason why I think I was steered towards the Samsung. She likes to watch shows on there. So I guess for that reason the Mini is out. mac_mogul, would you go with the IPad 2 instead of the Nexus 10?

I would rather eat my shoes than buy a two year old iPad 2.

Ha-ha, point taken. Well, I am assuming from your name you are an Apple fan, but the IPad air is a little tough for me financially right now, so I am trying to find the best I can for a decent price. I know I said the IPad 2 wouldn't break the bank, but I don't think I would go much more over $400ish. Seems like that Samsung is over priced if it is outdated according to other reviews.

I guess I don't understand people's gripes with screen size... You're holding it in front of your face, do you really need it to be as big and ungainly as possible?

I guess I don't understand people's gripes with screen size... You're holding it in front of your face, do you really need it to be as big and ungainly as possible?

Will agree with you on this.

My Nexus 7 IMO is the perfect size to hold in my hands for extended periods of time comfortably. Sure it's a huge screen for movies, but it's going to be in your hands or on a desk/table nearby if anything.

Back
Top Bottom