Best Socket A Processer?

grantbauer88

Solid State Member
What is the best performing Socket A processer, I can only find the Sempron 3000+ but is there anything better?

This is a list of Socket A's available:

AthlonXP (Barton)
AthlonXP (Mobile)
Sempron

This is where I got them from, and this review is basically a shoot out between those three cores running at 2500+ AMD spec speed. Though, if your going to get a higher speed than that, you can still use this as a proof for how good each processor is :):

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-239-1.htm

THIS IS THE CONCLUSION TAKEN FROM THAT SITE:

"So what was going to be a relatively easy summary has now become a little bit more convoluted thanks to the extreme overclocking ability of the Mobile Athlon chip.

Basically in short we can conclude the following.

- If you're looking to run at straight out of the box stock speeds, then going for the Athlon XP 2500+ should be a no brainer. The XP either beats or almost matches the Mobile chip in every benchmark and can be had at a lower price

- If however you're a tweaker, a freaker, a mad cookie eater, then by all means spend that extra four bones that is burning a hole in your pocket and pick up a Mobile Athlon chip (and as you can see above, we found it for the exact same price as the standard Barton). Even if by some chance you get a dud in the overclocking department you'll still have a chip that can easily run at stock XP speeds all the while requiring MUCH less voltage which will enable you to have a quiet if not super fast gaming system.

- Finally, if you're looking at the Sempron do it only if you absolutely cannot afford that extra ten bucks that it's going to cost you to move up to a Barton based XP processor. Though admittedly marketed at the low end internet/email usage market, AMD 2500+ Performance Rating system just doesn't hold up here. With the return of the low end Duron-esque processor let's hope AMD moves to a new naming system so as not to confuse Joe AOL who picks up a Sempron 2500+ thinking he's getting a great deal picking up the newest AMD chip at a great price to expecting it to perform at par with the regular Athlon XP chip his twelve year old kid made him promise to get."

*END*

I hope this helps with your decision :)

xp3200 or a mobile if ur gonna oc. i have an xp3000 400fsb and its good but i cant oc cuz my shitty mobo doesnt have a agp lock

Check if your motherboard supports the athlon XP 3200+...
This is a machine...
And this Barton runs at 2.2 gigas...no need to overclock if you don't want it...

Mobile Athlon XP w/ the Barton cores are awesome for overclocking. Because it's a low-voltage processor, you can easily overclock it like a desktop Athlon XP while using less power. Semprons are pretty nice too, but the Athlon XP's are way cheaper because AMD is phasing out that series.

Dude...

Marshillboy
That's called highjacking a thread and we don't go for that. Don't do it again.

Back
Top Bottom