Best LGA 775 socket CPU

Okay, so that Radeon REQUIRES a minimum 400 watt power supply. The computer CURRENTLY has a 300 watt power supply. Should I upgrade that too, or can I slip by with the 300 watt? Or can I somehow combine the current power supply with another one I have? And I just realized this: will the graphics card interfere with the heatsink on the CPU?

Last edited:
Single Slot AMD Radeon 7750 should be fine.

On with the PSU. Yes i would go for a higher wattage one. Say 500W to be safe. And a decent make would be recommended like a Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, Antec etc. Because if your PSU goes they usually take something else with them. Motherboard, Ram, CPU etc.

Just don't spend to much on that dated system. As you're well aware of :)

Single Slot AMD Radeon 7750 should be fine.

On with the PSU. Yes i would go for a higher wattage one. Say 500W to be safe. And a decent make would be recommended like a Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, Antec etc. Because if your PSU goes they usually take something else with them. Motherboard, Ram, CPU etc.

Just don't spend to much on that dated system. As you're well aware of :)

Dude, you've been a HUUUUGE HELP!!!! Thanks so much! :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817822008

How does this PSU look?

Dude, you've been a HUUUUGE HELP!!!! Thanks so much! :D

Diablotek DA Series PSDA500 500W ATX Power Supply - Newegg.com

How does this PSU look?

It's no problem. What are these places for after all :)

And personally i wouldn't trust that PSU but I am running i7 system. On the system you intend to put it in then it's entirely up to you if you wanna risk it. Yes it should run it all fine but like i said it's your call.

The only concern and something you need to look out for is the 12V rail Amperage. I notice on that one it states "+12V@17A". Do a PSU calculation online if you need to for all the components you are going to have in total on that system (ie. http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp ) Should give you a rough estimate for the Wattage. In regards to Amps then i'd say you should be ok with that Graphics card plus other components so long as you don't go over the top with HDD's and such.

In the past i run a E6400 @2.8GHz, 4GB ram, 2x HDD's, Creative Sound card, 2x Optical drives and a Nvidia 8800GTS off a 500W 22Amp PSU. And that was just some generic PSU too. Run fine for a couple of years but i think it's down to luck also. If you want to take the risk that is. I wouldn't take that risk these day's with my i7 setup and run it all off a Corsair TX850W PSU. So i think you'll get my point :)

Hope you get everything sorted anyway and please come back and let us know if you finally do. Always nice to know when something comes together ;)

Last edited:
Thanks dude! I'm getting the computer tomorrow, so I'll put in a new hard drive, boot it up with windows 7, and just do basic junk with the computer till I buy the new CPU and graphics card and power supply, and possibly RAM

Last edited:
It's no problem. What are these places for after all :)

And personally i wouldn't trust that PSU but I am running i7 system. On the system you intend to put it in then it's entirely up to you if you wanna risk it. Yes it should run it all fine but like i said it's your call.

The only concern and something you need to look out for is the 12V rail Amperage. I notice on that one it states "+12V@17A". Do a PSU calculation online if you need to for all the components you are going to have in total on that system (ie. eXtreme Power Supply Calculator ) Should give you a rough estimate for the Wattage. In regards to Amps then i'd say you should be ok with that Graphics card plus other components so long as you don't go over the top with HDD's and such.

In the past i run a E6400 @2.8GHz, 4GB ram, 2x HDD's, Creative Sound card, 2x Optical drives and a Nvidia 8800GTS off a 500W 22Amp PSU. And that was just some generic PSU too. Run fine for a couple of years but i think it's down to luck also. If you want to take the risk that is. I wouldn't take that risk these day's with my i7 setup and run it all off a Corsair TX850W PSU. So i think you'll get my point :)

Hope you get everything sorted anyway and please come back and let us know if you finally do. Always nice to know when something comes together ;)

Quick Question dude! Okay, so Gateway says the Mobo can support the Intel Pentium D Dual Core processor! Is that the same thing as an Intel Pentium Dual Core, or do I need to get an Intel Pentium D Dual Cored processor? Is there any way I can insert an unsupported CPU and use it? I was reading somewhere about a BIOS update that will allow an unsupported CPU to be used! Come on guys! I NEED HELP! The computer is coming TOMORROW!

Last edited:
Quick Question dude! Okay, so Gateway says the Mobo can support the Intel Pentium D Dual Core processor! Is that the same thing as an Intel Pentium Dual Core, or do I need to get an Intel Pentium D Dual Cored processor? Is there any way I can insert an unsupported CPU and use it? I was reading somewhere about a BIOS update that will allow an unsupported CPU to be used! Come on guys! I NEED HELP! The computer is coming TOMORROW!

Sorry been a little busy :rolleyes:

Anyway the Pentium D is slightly better than a Pentium 4. Usually uses a little more voltage to run and creates a little more heat but nothing to worry about. But so long as any or either are the correct socket i.e. 775 then there should be no problem.

Like i mentioned before that my Wifes Dell system (Basically the same motherboard as you are getting) went from a Pentium 4 to a Pentium D without an issue. Just some boards may require a Bios update (If one is available to take the better CPU. D version for instance). And as we discussed earlier i doubt the board would take a Core 2 Duo or Quad Core. But should take any of the Pentium 4's or D version CPU's.

So what Pentium D would be the best for gaming?

It's a little better. But only very slightly. I think it's just something like more clocks per cycle. Yes it would be better is the bottom line really.

And if you read in to the differences of the two said CPU's. P4 uses HT (Hyper threading) to create virtual second core. Whereas the Pentium D is a Dual Core. Basically if you do a search around on some of the old threads from the past were people are asking the same questions all will say go for the "D" if you can :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom