Best LGA 775 socket CPU

DogSong

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, I'm getting a computer from my Girlfriend's dad. It has 4GB RAM, an LGA 775 Socket CPU, and has a PCI 2.0 x 16, and I want to make this into a gaming PC. Are there any LGA 775 socket CPU's that could hold an EVGA 550 Ti? I know I have to upgrade the RAM, that's a given. I think the thing currently is running with a Pentium 4 820 at 2.8 Ghz with 2MB Level 2 Cache.... No L3 Cache from what I can see :/ Thanks guys!

I would definitely go for a Q6600 G0, make sure its a "G0" (G/Zero) stepping as they are amazing overclockers. There will be a lot of people getting rid of the "B3" stepping which you will want to avoid. They are still good chips but require more power, generate more heat and don't overclock nearly as good. I have had mine for nearly 6 years now and it still keeps up with today's games and programs. I have mine running at 3.2Ghz @ 1.32v from stock speed/voltage of 2.4Ghz @ 1.26v. It will do 3.6Ghz @ 1.43 on air (stable) but requires the fans to be maxed out making my PC sound like an F-15 on takeoff.

Hope that helps.

I agree with Branjo about the Q6600 G0 stepping version. I used to have one. But the overclocking side of it depends on exactly what motherboard it is used in. In particular the motherboards chipset.

I've had two boards in the past. One was a 680 chipset which failed at overclocking my Q6600. I had to replace that board due to other problems which was then a Asus P5Q-e P45 chipset and overclocked my Q6600 with ease and at the cost of not much more Volts. Just need to have a decent CPU cooler really as these Quad cores can get rather hot.

Hope you get it sorted. Good luck ;)

I'm not interested in overclocking, although I MAY do it, but I just want to know for now if I can use the nVidia GTS 450 (Yes I changed my mind) to play some games such as Left 4 Dead 2 and Farming Simulator 2013 atleast on Low settings with No lag. I currently have a stupid Dell Inspiron 15R and the graphics are those equivalent to a 1990's computer.... But thanks guys! Your info will help later on :D

For the CPU side or your requirements, the Q6600 is the ideal one for that socket, and even now Ebay is still full of them, seem to be settling around the $70 mark. The overclocking part is just an indication that these chips are seriously underclocked at stock. So the potential is always there. Your G/card will probably get away with better than low settings on games like L4D2, as long as you don't have a huge monitor and stick to the lower resolutions, you should get pretty decent frame rates.

Yeh knowing the exact make/model of the motherboard would help a lot. Because there are lot of older 775 boards out there that will quite happily accept a Pentium 4 but not a Quad core. My Wife's Motherboard is running a Pentium 4 but after looking in to supported CPU's. It wouldn't even take Core 2 Duo E6400, let alone my old Quad core Q6600.

Yeh knowing the exact make/model of the motherboard would help a lot. Because there are lot of older 775 boards out there that will quite happily accept a Pentium 4 but not a Quad core. My Wife's Motherboard is running a Pentium 4 but after looking in to supported CPU's. It wouldn't even take Core 2 Duo E6400, let alone my old Quad core Q6600.

Good point.

Alright guys, what if I went with an Intel Pentium D Extreme Edition 955, because the Mobo can only support the processors listed. Does the Extreme Edition fall under what Gateway defines as "Pentium D"?

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Oh, and if the Extreme isn't good for gaming, what would be the best CPU under the given guidelines of the Mobo?

Back
Top Bottom