Best GPU for around 100 dollars

awmiscool

Beta member
My 9800GX2 recently died on me. So, I am in the market for a new video card. I run all my games at high resolutions and figured I'd need something with a big amount of memory. I have been out of the computer scene for quite some time and don't know whats good any more. My budget is around 100 dollars because I still play games but not nearly enough to justify spending alot of money on a high end card.

It can be either nvidia or ati, I don't care as long as its the best for what I can get.

That looks really impressive. However lots of reviews say that the card dies and crashes alot..?

Hey OP, can you describe the symptoms of your GX2? About half the time, there is a very simple fix for them when they die.

Also, if you are looking for a card that will be an upgrade, you will need no less than a 5850. Anything lower will be a pretty massive downgrade.

Yup. Remember, the 5770 is absolutely crippled by it's memory bus :rolleyes:

It actually is, but this is only noticeable at hgih resolutions or in games that depend almost entirely on memory bandwidth (think crysis). My card gets near linear performance increases based off memory overclocks.

Hey OP, can you describe the symptoms of your GX2? About half the time, there is a very simple fix for them when they die.

Also, if you are looking for a card that will be an upgrade, Get no less than a 5850.

My budget is around 100 dollars because I still play games but not nearly enough to justify spending alot of money on a high end card.

fry it? :p

I think he's just looking for a replacement.

fry it? :p

I think he's just looking for a replacement.

Baking it. It's also possible to remove the cooler, then put RAMsinks on every component except the GPU, then run furmark and let it fix itself.

Baking it is really easy and takes about 20 minutes. If the card is dead, there ia nothing to lose, and success rates are very high.

Baking it. It's also possible to remove the cooler, then put RAMsinks on every component except the GPU, then run furmark and let it fix itself.

Baking it is really easy and takes about 20 minutes. If the card is dead, there ia nothing to lose, and success rates are very high.

That's certainly true. What are you gonna do, break it more? :p

Back
Top Bottom