Beowulf Imax 3D :D

Kage

Golden Master
Going to see Beowulf in 3D tonight at an Imax cinema with a mate. Can't wait, because its the first full length film using the 3D projectors, and that technologies pretty amazing.

The only thing that I don't like about Imax 3D that spoils the effect slightly, is that 24fps which the projectors run in, is fine for standard 2D films, but in 3D, 24fps simply doesn't provide smooth enough viewing for me, so I can notice a lot of stuttering in fast motion parts.
Also, with a completly black screen, and white text, its very easy to see ghosting, where you can see a bit of the image on the wall as well as it in front of you.

I haven't seen the film at all yet, but from reviews, I should enjoy it :D

Anyone else seen an Imax 3D presentation, where they are?

Yeah I've seen several. They weren't proper films though, only animations made for the imax but I thought the whole idea was excellent. It has a much bigger screen than normal cinemas but unfortunately the one near us closed down because not enough people went

Thats a shame as I think the technology is only in its infant form at the moment :(

We have one here at the Odeon, which also houses standard sized cinemas too, and quite a few Imax screens also.

Was the Imax screen near you just for Imax? There were no other screens as wlel to bring in cash?

hasnt imax been around for sometime now? i never thought of it as a full movie cinema experience but only as a go to the science day out trip experience

IMAX has been around for a long, long time. I remember when Gears of War first came out, these guys tried playing GoW in a IMAX theater on a IMAX screen. :D

Imagine all the orgasmic moments they had. :p

i just thought if they had the technology to do it what would crysis all maxed out be like in 3d? man that would be something maybe some day tho

Imax has been here for a while, but its only now the technology I believe is becoming cheap enough to do full length films in it.

70mm film, I can guess isn't cheap to produce, or store.

Didn't get to see it in the end though, because my mate took too long to pick me up, so got there like 10 minutes late, so it was too late to go in :(

On that note though, saw The Golden Compass instead, and actually, thats a very good film.
I may have to get the books.

When video cards that can run Crysis well start coming out, you can actually get shutter glasses for PC's you know, and most games do support the 3D feature, built into the Nvidia 3D drivers that you can download.
Haven't seen it been done in a while with new games, but I've seen some Quake 3 3D shots for example.
The video card has to be able to render 2 different camera positions, and its best for your monitor to support at least 100hz I believe for a no-flicker effect.

I think if you did buy them in that case, you'd get a max of 30hz in each eye, so a maximum of 15fps in games that supported it, but because of the extra strain it puts on the video card, you'd probably get much less than this.

Nice feature though if you have money to burn :p

Back
Top Bottom