Be Broadband and Web Server

ssc456

Fully Optimized
right tomorrow im ordering my be broadband simply coz they sue adsl2 and can give me 5MB when all the others offer me 1 Mb so seems like a no brainer to me.

jus a few questions has nay1 had n e experience with them and do you know if they are n e good.

what package do you think is best ?

i mean im just a general web surfer and download but the thing is i have recently branched into making websites and myself im only playing around but my Gf's brother wants me to host a web site for him im thinking maybe be unlimited with a static IP address could be handy.

although i think im right in saying aslong as my net stays connected i keep the same ip address n e way and when i was with orange i was connected constantly for like 125 days at 1 point so is it worth the money to get a static ip address ? or not?

im definately not getting Bepro so is between lite and unlimited.

difference being.

lite is upto 8Mb unlimited is upto 24 Mb (but i can only get 5Mb) and unlimited has static IP.

and a difference of £4 a month so what do you think ? is best.

Bump :

sorry to be pushy guys its jus im ordering it in the morning basicly i wonna know.

to run a web server on your pc do you need a static ip address is it too much hassle to change it every time oyu disconnect ?

and is a static ip address for £4 a month good ?

static or no static

if you can get a static IP address...

if you can't I suggest that you do the same as I do.

I have a .co.uk name that I host a website from on a dynamic IP address.

I use no-ip.com to get a dynamic DNS resolution with the no-ip DUC that changes the IP address of the machine each time.

I pointed the DNS records of my .co.uk domain name to be ns1.xyz.no-ip.com and ns2.xyz.no-ip.com

I host my own DNS and have an alias record for my .co.uk name (something that I couldn't enter on the online one).

there are a few problems with this.
If my server goes down, so does my DNS so I'm screwed -but the sites no online either so that doesn't matter

if No-ip goes down I'm screwed...
though I could solve this by having an account with dyn-dns or someone simillar so my name server entries for my domain are

ns1.xyz.no-ip.com
and
ns1.xyz.dyndns.org

(of course you have to host your own DNS as well then -though I don't find that a problem).

I do this because with a BT business package a static IP address costs extra.
and since I have a free solution, I don't see why I should pay an extra £5 per month,

right well i have gone for the 1 without staitic ip address and have found a simple solution to the ip address changes.

if im correct then i think my ip only changes when my net disconects and usually that would only be ocne every month or so and my domain company has a website that you just enter into your web browser and it auto gets your new ip address and redirects the domain name.

so if i save this to my favourties then everytime my net disconnects then all i have to do is goto that site and sorted.

although it admitedly it would have been easier to have static and if i find it too much trouble i can always upgrade but cant downgrade

since this thread is already off track...

I just noticed that your location is Milton Keynes...
my location is Brackley. (that's just down the road), i used to work in Milton Keynes...

which particular block do you live in.
(I used to work in Shenley wood, in the offices opposite Konami UK offices

right well i have gone for the 1 without staitic ip address and have found a simple solution to the ip address changes.

if im correct then i think my ip only changes when my net disconects and usually that would only be ocne every month or so and my domain company has a website that you just enter into your web browser and it auto gets your new ip address and redirects the domain name.

so if i save this to my favourties then everytime my net disconnects then all i have to do is goto that site and sorted.

although it admitedly it would have been easier to have static and if i find it too much trouble i can always upgrade but cant downgrade

I had a go at hosting a simple server once just as an experiment with NTL and I found that they can still disconnect your IP while you are still connected althought it normally only happened every 1/2 months

Back
Top Bottom