Basketball coach fired for WINNING 100-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
From being on both ends of the situation, it isn't.

If you're down by a huge margin, then there's a certain level of acceptance, but for the other team to play the game like it's 50-51 the whole game, that's unethical and wrong in my opinion.

I don't think it was worth firing the guy over it unless it was a constant thing. It would have been worth a reprimand, or at least a verbal.

It doesn't matter that the girls played with "honor and integrity" when the end result contains neither. That is not to say that they should have let the other team score without earning it, but there was no reason to run up a score like that. Being beat by a far superior team is bad enough... being humiliated on purpose is worse.

I don't think it was worth firing the guy over it unless it was a constant thing. It would have been worth a reprimand, or at least a verbal.

It doesn't matter that the girls played with "honor and integrity" when the end result contains neither. That is not to say that they should have let the other team score without earning it, but there was no reason to run up a score like that. Being beat by a far superior team is bad enough... being humiliated on purpose is worse.

yea but the girls on the team are more responsible for the score runnign up then the coach. and peter cort you cant critisise him because it doesnt say he didnt try any new plays or use it as a learnign experience. also we dotn know if they did chill out at all. imo him beign fired is the only thing i see wrong here. we all know reporters tend to blow things out of veiw just to atract readers.

There is always a thing called forfeit, sorry but the same thing goes on in central ky every year with the football teams, there is always a team that completly crushs another team, basketball shouldn't be any different. If they can't handle it, then they shouldn't be in it.

it's the same ethical debate, only in a different more drastic scenario.
Having one thing in common doesn't make them comparable.

I mean, it's..... a basketball game. Where both teams played against each other, and one happened to be a lot better. I don't see why a coach should be fired just because his team played a lot better than another.

If the team that's losing doesn't like it, they can choose:
1. Not to play
2. To try and learn from the experience, to get better

I mean, it's a bit like playing a computer game where one person really sucks. they can choose to keep playing and try and improve, or choose not to play. It would be silly to penalise everybody else just because they're better at it.

From experience I know that as my teams would have a large point margin we would always slow the game down. Do something like running 4 corners with all of the scrubs. It was always the coaches decisions and as the players we followed the coaches instructions. This kind of reminds me of the Slovakia vs. Bulgaria 82-0 hockey match.

This is terrible, the school has no right whatsoever to fire him for being un-christlike (whatever that's supposed to mean). Was this his job? - by which I mean was this what put food on his table? Does he have a family to support?
I wouldn't care if they had won 10000-0 you don't fire a guy for it.

I think they were right in punishing the coach. They probably did not need to fire him, but due to the national spotlight they got put on. They had to do some kind of public punishment to satisfy the masses.Also the team that he beat was handicapped.. like literally. The school was a special school for people with learning disabilities and special needs. So, go them they got 100-0 victory on handicapped kids. gg coach.

Its a game...one team played better.

Not a matter of ethics of principles, i wasnt aware that you were supposed to stop playing after you ran up such a high score. Its the other teams fault for sucking so badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom