Basic Digital Recording computer

HeavyPeanut

Solid State Member
My goal is to build my first computer. The necessity is recording digital music using external gear by way of fire wire. This little baby will rock a pci express dsp excellerator card that would eventually like to be stacked 4 deep. Music likes its RAM so it will need to have that, as much as possible within budget reason. Also 4 monitors would be optimal. Graphics on the card or cards are minimal demand at best. These programs are basic 2d 16 color type stuff. 6-8 usb inputs would be a minimal requirement. Other than that I have heard rumors of an 8 processor set up that is reasonable now a days. Processing is verry handy when my dps's become overloaded. And of course I may have to mix down the mess I recorded. Fast is better. Any Ideas as to what direction I may take to begin accumulating proper parts for that type of unit? Any advise is welcome ty for yur time if you have read this far )
SHP,

I guess I wasent clear on what I was asking for. I apologize for being so long winded. I am looking for mother boards, processors and video cards that would be a good price for what I needed. Now remember I'm a comp noob and I am becoming increasingly confused myself navigating the ocean of possibilities for hardware available. I think price is going to be a major factor in the final decision.
Cheers,

Just to confirm, you're wanting a build that you can use for recording music. Do you actually need to purchase 4 monitors as well? Also, you said you want it fast, but you don't need a high end graphics card as it isn't for gaming or anything like that. Do you need hard drives? Do you need an operating system? What kind of equipment are you going to plugging into this? And do you have a motherboard, or do we need to find that as well?

I have 2 monitors as it stands right now. I will be looking at trading them to my wife later on to purchase 4 more when the demand is there. I also have windows 7 home on a recently deceased computer. The main program I will be running is called Pro-Tools 9 here are the basic requirements: Windows Systems

• System Software: Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (32 or 64-bit)
    • Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is officially qualified with Pro Tools 9.0.2 and higher
  • Total System RAM: 2GB minimum, 4GB or more recommended
  • For Windows Desktop Computers

Supported Nvidia Graphics Cards
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 1.5GB PCIe video board
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 1.5GB PCIe video board
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768MB PCIe video board
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 512MB PCIe video board
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 256MB PCIe video board

Supported Nvidia Quadro Graphics Drivers

This system will connect to a fire wire component called RME Fireface 800
This will require a fire wire port.
Finally the hard drive can be 40 gig max as all music will need to be recorded on external hard drives as to ensure best audio results.
Again ty so much for your patience on this!!
Cheers,
Marc,

I will need ram and the biggest thing would be to be able to upgrade as I went along starting with 8 and going to 32. Heat sink and power supply all needed.

As far as the video cards I'm pretty sure they are advertizing those cards as their partners. They were on the site as a reference. If it can play movies it can do pro-tools that's for certain. )
cheers,
Marc,

Back
Top Bottom