Basic Digital Recording computer

So a few quick questions.
First is the ram on this mother board. If I wanted to buy 8 gig ram at a time would I have to start with 16? and if so, Id be very interested in knowing the model number of the pair.
Secondly if I were going for 4 monitors does the video card stack 2 support 4 monitors?
I see the video cards are described as pci express however they are different from my pci express dps excellerator cards I have
UAD-2 SOLO DSP Accelerator Package | Universal Audio
Can these cards and the 2 video cards if needed stack together in that mother board?
Finally no I do not have a case but If I were in a perfect world this computer would be in a 19 inch rack mount case that would fit into my music rack mount case )))
I have to say I am impressed with your over all knowledge and patience helping an unknown computer enthusiast. May the force be with you !!
Looking forward to your response,
Cheers,
Marc,

I don't understand your RAM question, I apologize.

In regards to the graphics cards, that motherboard does offer 2 pci express slots, and it is sli ready for nvidia graphics cards. That said, if you're wanting to do that and your dps is pci express then we may need to look for a different motherboard.

Ya in order to stack audio DSP cards (Digital signal processing cards) we might need further pci-express slots. What I meant with the ram is if I want 32 eventually do I need to begin with 8 gig? or 16 gig? I was under the impression if you have 4 slots you need to fill 2 of them first with equal ram sizes at a time. As you well know I'm a comp noob and I'm sorry to have led you astray.TY for your patience,
Cheers,
Marc,

You got me on that one actually. I've only ever filled RAM in equal increments and haven't needed over 8GB ever. 32GB of RAM seems like way more than you could ever use to be quite honest. How many PCI slots do you actually need? That motherboard comes with 2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots, and one PCI Express x1 slot.

Here's another motherboard that looks like a better option:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157269

That would take the new total with everything to $937. Still inside the $1200 budget. But seriously, do you need a case, or do you have one?

Edit: If you wanted to up the power supply for the new motherboard above, I went to a 750W here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

That would bump the price to $967. Still within budget.

The mother board looks great. It has enough pci for graphics cards and 3 dsp cards. I dont have a case but I think the 19 in rack-mount server cases might still be a viable option for me as I would like to tidy my workspace. I have seen the cases available its just necessary to have a breakdown of what you will be putting inside them in order to find the proper one. I have a lot of rack-space and very little counter/floor space. I am leaning toward 16 gig to start as I tend to use a lot of memory. It looks as tho I might need to spend more but that would be fine if it serves its purpose properly. Power supply looks good also I have to say this machine shows much promise.
Cheers,
Marc,

Very nice I will begin ordering the pieces this week. I have to say I am very excited about this computer. Ill post a pic of it when I'm done and put it to the test for addons and see if I cant justify the ram lol. Ty Chaos Residue, I hope you stay tuned to this thread as I may need to ask a few questions further as I put it together:)
Cheers,
Marc,

I'll do my best. Anything I can't answer myself I'll try to ask around. I'm actually in the process of building my first computer. In the past I've upgraded a lot of parts, but never actually attempted a complete overhaul. I'm pretty excited for my computer as well. I still have to wait for my tax return so I can get my $1600 in parts, lol. Good luck by the way!

Back
Top Bottom