Basic Computer / Graphics Card / Power Supply Question

jarhead862

Beta member
Ok basically I have one question:

My ideal goal is to do the following...

1.) buy cheap computer, ie Dell, just something that runs
2.) configure it with fast processor (via Dell website)
3.) buy upgrades separately:
- Memory (this is easy)
- graphics card - preferably GeForce 9800 GX2

The main issues to it are:
1.) Will this card fit? Ok let's assume that it will.
2.) Power? Ok here's the problem, Dell issues most of their computers with 400 or so W power supply, GeForce 9800 GX2's require atleast 580W system power I believe, with the cards themselves requiring almost 400W.

My question is, can I put a 9800 GX2 in a Dell and simply buy a SECOND power supply to just sit around and plug ONLY into the graphics card, providing I just leave my tower on the ground with the case open?

Yes I realize this isn't practical and may just look ugly, but I couldn't care less about that or moving convenience. I just wonder if this is an option. I have seen some supplemental power supplies for sale, but I'd rather just buy an internal one to sit outside the computer if it will work because I think that will just be easier.

Ok basically I have one question:

My ideal goal is to do the following...

1.) buy cheap computer, ie Dell, just something that runs
2.) configure it with fast processor (via Dell website)
3.) buy upgrades separately:
- Memory (this is easy)
- graphics card - preferably GeForce 9800 GX2

The main issues to it are:
1.) Will this card fit? Ok let's assume that it will.
2.) Power? Ok here's the problem, Dell issues most of their computers with 400 or so W power supply, GeForce 9800 GX2's require atleast 580W system power I believe, with the cards themselves requiring almost 400W.

My question is, can I put a 9800 GX2 in a Dell and simply buy a SECOND power supply to just sit around and plug ONLY into the graphics card, providing I just leave my tower on the ground with the case open?

Yes I realize this isn't practical and may just look ugly, but I couldn't care less about that or moving convenience. I just wonder if this is an option. I have seen some supplemental power supplies for sale, but I'd rather just buy an internal one to sit outside the computer if it will work because I think that will just be easier.

a good 500w psu will do just fine, no need for a second one, and no, I think you misunderstood/misread something, the card by itself does not draw 400w...

Thanks for the help

Well the problem with a new one is that based on what I've been reading, companies like DELL are very picky about their power supplies and that you can't just buy any one and upgrade.

Also on the other things you mentioned, on nVidia's website and most websites of GX2 retailers, it states that you need a minimum of 580W system power. Secondly there were reviews of the GX2 I was reading where they measured the thing actually drawing 300W and upwards under full loads.

Aside from this, the main thing I want to know is can I just buy a second one like I mentioned to work as supplement only to the graphics card, if I have to do this? Would it physically work?

Wouldnt be easier to build your own? That way it has exactly what you want?
Theres alot of threads of building your own on this site, And you can always ask.

Wouldnt be easier to build your own? That way it has exactly what you want?
Theres alot of threads of building your own on this site, And you can always ask.

Maybe he doesn't want to go through the hassle. And building your own computer is always more expensive if something screws up.

I'd build my own, I just don't want to go through the work and posibility of something going wrong. Trying to throw together a quick and cheap gaming computer with good processor, memory, and graphics card. Just power seems to be the issue

Honestly, you may as well build your own. The 9800GX2 probably wouldn't fit in a Dell case (it's huge) you'll definitely need a new power supply (600W minimum for the 9800GX2) and for the cost you'll do better. It's not as hard as you think.

If you give us a budget, we can help you pick out components, and we'll help you through the whole building process.

Guys, let's not force the situation. If he doesn't want to build his own let's try our best to help him with the matter at hand.

@OP: I don't think having a dedicated PSU to your graphics card would be a bad problem, however I don't really like the fact that you're going to leave the case open. Is there anyway you can mod it the side panel to fit the cables?

Also, I own a Dell E310. A little old, but let me tell you something about their PSU placement (assuming you might want to go ahead and just switch out the PSU): At least my tower is MATX, so you have to look into that. Secondly, the way the screws are lined up are like a trapezoid, not a rectangle.

Looks like this:

o......................o

....o............o......

o = screw hole

So you might only be able to get 2 screws in, that is assuming those 2 holes will line up.

Back
Top Bottom