Bandwidth distribution...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirvana89

In Runtime
Ok in my house we have 3 computers, two printers, and I got xbox live. That is where all the cables from the router go to. Now that you all know the setup I'll get to the questions.

I have SBC Yahoo DSL. They told me that I should be getting 190kbps - 300 something kbps. We have all phones filtered and anything that goes into the DSL box. The router is set up right ( I know because I spent 2-3 hrs on the phone with linskeys...long story..short version is that they are idiots).

Through all of that we are only downloading at a speed of, on average, 40 kbps.It is still the same when bypassing the router. That's including what we download from microsoft.com or any other place. It's not that I hate 40 kbps but the fact that we are paying about 30 bucks a month for something that isn't being given to us in full. They're ripping me off! SO now the questions.

We have windows xp home edition. Do you all think that the 20 percent that windows uses for itself is the problem? We have 3 home editions running and all using 20 % of the bandwidth for each. Does that add up in the end somehow as to why we have little downloading rates? I am not intelligent when it comes to networking so that is a wild theory I came up with. I don't understand how we recieve 190-300 kbps and a machine distributes it to each computer and each computer gets 190-300 kbps.

OR is it some other reason that you guys know and I have no clue about? Hit me with all ya got!!!;)

*by the way, I called SBC many times (they had no idea what they were doing..like linskeys) and finally I got someone higher up that knows what he is doing. He said if the router is fine, if everything is filtered, then it is a faulty cable on their part. Thing is that I'm not entirely sure it is a faulty cable. SO I don't want to make a guy come out here and the cable be fine because then I pay 60 bucks. If the cable is the problem then just let me know.

well all I don't know the difference lol but I'll clarify to kilobytes per second. I did the test by the way. And now I am really really really lost.
I'll attach the pic of it. Except Idk how to show you...you'll have to inform me.

Just post the link from yoru browser

I will be here for a while too, i can solve the problem tonite :)

ok I just did the test. It's up in another window. You just want me to copy the address of it and post it in another reply?

I have a feeling that your isp told you your speed in kilobit per second, and windows is reporting it in kilobyte per second.

8 bits to a byte makes your 40 kilobyte per second (kBps) download a 320 kilobit per second (kbps) download. Which 320 is in the range they told you.

Your getting exactly what you should. I currently am running with 4 computers on 1 network with yahoo SBC dsl. The rate is 300kbps which translates into downloads of 40kb/s. This is perfectly normal, the SBC service is very minimal, if you want a highspeed connection you have to buy the better package from them, if they offer it.

I was considering upgrading my service from SBC but it was going to cost 50$ a month for the best connection which is 1.5kbps, whoch translates into a download speed of around 200-300kb/s.

Also the number they told is is high because that is the rate in kilobits, when you download something from IE/FF you get a download speed in kilobytes. Now 8 kilobits are equal to 1 kilobyte, which means there is nothing wrong with your connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom