Bad Sectors......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zagadka

In Runtime
Is there any way to remove the bad sectors or jsut to mask them so that the remaining space is usable by using any software?

My pal has a 2GB HDD and it has developed a lot of bad sectors and it is not behaving properly.Data can be copied from it but reading it gives errors.

I have used the Samsung Disk Utility for low level formatting...does this help?:confused:

I agree. When you start seeing bad sectors I would strongly recommend replacing the disk instead of using it because the risk of loosing the data in the next several months are high. I know this from experience. I had a Maxtor hard drive with bad sectors few years ago. One day I turned it on, it will not boot. I would have lost the data if I did not have the tape backup.

Well thanks

The disk is only used for transfering data....
there is no OS installed on it...anyway who would install on a 2 GB HDD... :D
I guess we have to us the CDRW afterall...

thats pretty much true, the only chance is using Debug to write 0's to the drive. suprizingly enough I have had that work on 1 IBM deathstar that began having bad sectors.

Yeah... trash that 2gb before you cant get anything out of it...

As far as what Ecniv said, i had a IBM Deathstar 75gb HD at one time.. the mofos at IBM denied they had any problems with those hard drives. But i had like 6 bad sectors before i pulled it.
I told them i didnt want another one like the one i had, cause it was a POS. Ill never buy a IBM HD again.

So now im running a Western Digital 200gb Special Edition HD and its quick as hell, especially with the 8mb buffer they added on.

Go out and buy a new drive, they are cheap enough now. Plus i could fill 2gb in an hour :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom