Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooler for AMD and Intel CPU
Corsair 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x1024MB) DHX
Lite-ON 52xCDRW / 16xDVD Rom Combo Drive Bk Retail
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Socket 775 Motherboard
Intel Quad Core Kentsfield 2.4Ghz Q6600 CPU
WD Caviar 400GB SATA-3G HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G
Power Up 800w Power Supply w/2 80mm/Blue
ASPIRE BLACK/BLACK X-PLORER CASE

my brother, friend and I were building it, we put everything together. but when we turned it on the psu was smoking, just a bit. the motherboard LED was lit, so it was still getting power, but i just can't turn it on. and i have no idea if its the PSU, MB or just the button on the case, can anyone please tell me any ideas to help solve this or help trouble shoot. thank you :D

The PSU shouldn't be smoking, not even one bit. Return it and get a new one.

I'm his friend, we tried this one and an older 250 watt one, the 250 did the same thing. Technically its not enough to power but we tried anyway so it probably is a dead psu. I didnt suspect that even though it smoked because the power LED on the board lit up.

As I mentioned, power doesn't mean anything. If the PSU is smoking something is fried. Also, it won't boot on a 250watt PSU. Did you plug in the 4/8 pin CPU power cable?

As I mentioned, power doesn't mean anything. If the PSU is smoking something is fried. Also, it won't boot on a 250watt PSU. Did you plug in the 4/8 pin CPU power cable?

Yes we did, plugged in all the cables, double checked, everything was connected perfectly.

yeah, it lightly smoked 2 days ago though. barely anything. i think, but not sure about, the pins in the mother board connected to the power button is the problem, but i might just get a power supply at best buy (hate them) and just return the PSU to TigerD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom