Bad Drive Sectors - Linux installation

E

entity512

Hey,

I decided to venture into the mystical jungle and try doing a dual boot of linux again after finding fedora reasonably ok. Ive had mandrake lying around which i just tried to install a few minutes ago, but when i came to the partitioning area I went to my usual custom partition link and tried to resize my windows partition but it had said it had bad sectors and could not be resized. I thought hmm maybe i can boot into windows and do a defrag or something to get it into shape, still no luck. Anyone know what to do?

well, from what i hear ....once your hhd starts to get bad sectors....i don't believe there is a safe way to repair them.....

on the other hand , i've also heard that you may be able to format & partition the good part of the hhd.

but since i don't know exactly how to do this, i will let someone else help you on this one.

but, if i am correct ...once your hhd has bad sectors it's time to replace it.(others may have opinons on this)

is it a western digital. I have had nothing but problems with those drives.. maxtors awesome for me.

its a maxtor diamondmax plus9. Its never had bad sectors beforeon past installations of ME, could it maybe just be using ntfs done something...maybe a reinstall and then partitioning it on its setup will do the trick?

Just had a quick google..basicly they think theres nothing i can do except use a program that stops an operating system from using the bad sectors for data storage to cause problems. basicly its going to die sooner or later and ive not properly used it longer than a month lol..woo great, anyway i need a SATA one.

What make should i go with by the way? I like maxtor but this drive has basicly failed in a month, dont seem to like the WD ones, they are so slow. So hmm..

ah..seems i have a years warrenty on it, i shall get onto dabs :D

Back
Top Bottom