Bad CPU? Bad overclock?

steve10765

Daemon Poster
OK, so I was passing some time and decided to use some of the features that came on a disk when I got my PC, I installed and updated AMD overdrive... I used AMD auto clock to see what it does, it started overclocking my computer's CPU(which is fine). Once my pc got to 4.2 GHZ or so it turned off/showed some blue screen saying the process has been stopped to prevent hardware damage.

Why did it do this?

Its not heat, I was at 56 C and I have manually overclocked my computer to 3.9ghz and had a stable 63C for my CPU, and it was fine like that, so I know its not turning off because of heat, to confirm this I used heavy load on stock clocks(3.4ghz) and it got over 56C and was fine. If its not heat, what is it?
PS: My Mobo says on it "140 Watt CPU ready" and my processor uses max tdp 124 watt, I dont think overdrive auto changes voltages though.

is there something wrong with the CPU? I just got it 3 months ago

Do you know what the stop code was?

Odds are its a bad overclock, as the software isn't good at it at all.

Using those programs, you should really only bump up 100mhz at a time between tests.

Do you know what the stop code was?

Odds are its a bad overclock, as the software isn't good at it at all.

Using those programs, you should really only bump up 100mhz at a time between tests.

amd overclock goes up by the multipliers

X17 stays here for 3 min
X17.5 stays here for 3 min
X18
X18.5
and so on.

well I am going to look up what a stop code is, then I will update this
EDIT: what is a stop code, cant find much

The 965 hits a wall around 4.2 which is quite normal and after that you need a ridiculous amount of volts to get above it. Usually 1.6V+. Odds have it the program either wasn't upping the volts or it stopped at 1.55v.

By the way, overclocking via software for the CPU is pretty dumb. You should always use the bios.

when i had my 965, i couldnt get it over 3.8ghz to save my life, i had a full water loop with a tripple rad with push pull fans, getting 15° idle and 23°load temps, i even did a slush box experiment with my H50, idle temps were something like 2° and load was 12° with voltage maxed out... simply would not go over 3.8, it booted once at 4ghz, then bsod after i moved the mouse... i currpoted my OS trying to over clock that thing... leave it be. those DO NOT like being overclocked.

when i had my 965, i couldnt get it over 3.8ghz to save my life, i had a full water loop with a tripple rad with push pull fans, getting 15° idle and 23°load temps, i even did a slush box experiment with my H50, idle temps were something like 2° and load was 12° with voltage maxed out... simply would not go over 3.8, it booted once at 4ghz, then bsod after i moved the mouse... i currpoted my OS trying to over clock that thing... leave it be. those DO NOT like being overclocked.

maybe you need to change your voltages, thats what it most likely is. If I made it to 4GHZ with no problems at about 20C higher temps than you did, then you can do it. I heard these chips loved to be overclocked.

Also my motherboard has 2 overclock switches on it that most likely affected my results. I clicked the switch that was 10% increase in FSB. This most likely affected my overclock results.

It must be your voltages or motherboard

I don't know about these other guys but 50c is too hot for me personally.
If any component in my system reaches 55-60c during a test I shut it off.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I don't like my system getting that warm. Also I would probably take PP Mguires word for it. None of the guys on the Super Pi top list got a 965 above 4.4ghz (and that was Apokalypse. That guy is good at OCing) so I wouldn't really expect too much more than what you've already obtained.

You might try disabling a core or two in BIOS to achieve a higher overclock without all the heat if you're going for just raw frequency but in my opinion a 4-core at 4ghz is pretty fast already.

Back
Top Bottom